Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Transmission bolts stripped!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 06:56 AM
Default Transmission bolts stripped!!!

Transmission bolts stripped!!! On A 2007 Ford expedition can't even bring down the transmission oil pan cause all the bolts are stripped what can I do now I need suggestions please thank you

Old 07-03-2021, 11:46 AM

Chances are pretty good the threads are metric..
If you apply pressure between the pan and trans case you may get the bolts started coming down a little at a time.Be careful not to leave score marks on the sealing surface of the trans case.
How far are you from ,
Home Depot, Lowes, NAPA . Advance or any auto supply store?
Usually the trans case is softer than the bolts holding the pan..
If you have any Teflon tape, you might get away with wrapping some tape around the bolts to hold the pan in place until you can go get what you really need.
You will need a case (quarts)of the correct trans fluid to do this right..
If it is the trans case, you might get away with a thread chaser.
Those bolts are torqued to INCH POUNDS, NOT FOOT POUNDS.
If there no threads left in the case you may need a tap the next size up and the same number of bolts to do a permanent repair...
To do the least amount of damage. instead of going to the next size metric, you may be able to go to a slightly larger size std thread ..
This doesn't have to get complicated, but need to know just which are damaged and which are OK. Case /bolts

Old 07-04-2021, 06:42 AM

They probably were not over tightened. Happens frequently with the steel bolts going into an aluminum case. The two metals react and seize together.

Once you get the old bolts out by applying a downward pressure, I would re-tap the holes and go with new bolts and washers.. Go with the next larger size even if you have to go with an SAE thread. You don't want to jump up too big in size where the bolt won't go through the pan holes. Kind of unusual to have all the threads stripped out. It's usually the ones which have an exposed open hole in the case opposite the bolt head.Those are at the rear of the pan. I have been able to use a nut on those to get the original bolt to hold when there were only a couple damaged ones..