Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

transmission ?s

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Default transmission ?s

I have a 99 eb 5.4 4x4..... Truck was great then just started acting like it was bucking..... Thought it was the gas but def wasnt..... Now the truck when put in d the truck will engage in first and drive in first, but wont shift into 2,3 or 4th..... Shop said it needs a whole new tranny for 3k... Obviously they wanna make the most money..... Wondering what could cause this? Could it be a shift solenoid?..... Any ideas or advise would be appreciated..... I found a rebuild with 40k on it for 800 and would swap trannys but dont wanna go threw 6 hours work to find out there was a simpler solution... Thanks

Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 PM

You could check the two electrical plugs on the trans. I believe there is one on each side. Also , there is the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Switch) the one on the left side of the trans that tells the electronics what gear you have selected. Sounds like it isn't telling the trans everything. The solenoid body is not difficult to replace if that is the problem, but try the connections at the trans first.,,,,,,,,,, hanky

Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 PM

Thanks bro.... What about the vacuum actuator on the tranny.... Was told that could be it too..... Do u have ne pics of the connectors ur talking about? Any would be appreciated?

Old 07-14-2010, 03:40 PM

No pix avail at this time. The shift lever moves the MLPS its not hard to trace and its on the left side of the trans. hanky

Old 07-14-2010, 04:42 PM

Ok what about the vacuum actuator on the tranyy? Could that be not allowing it to shift?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 PM

To the best of my knowledge there is no vacuum modulator on this trans, everything is controlled electrically/electronically. hanky