Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

'03 Explorer apparently not shifting into 3rd gear, O/D flashing

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Unhappy '03 Explorer apparently not shifting into 3rd gear, O/D flashing

We bought this Explorer used last month, it was a bank repossession and sold as is, unfortunately we didn't test it at highway speeds so we didn't know what I think is a shifting problem, Automatic transmission btw. We were driving along and only got up to about 35 to 40 max, later on I noticed that I can feel the shift from 1st to 2nd, but apparently there is no shifting from 2nd to 3rd, almost like it max's out but wont shift to 3rd, O/D light was flashing yesterday.

Going to read the codes today to see if any new are on it.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:16 AM

I attached my OBDLink Diagnostic report that I got with my Android phone earlier, the one that sticks out in my mind is the "P0775 Pressure Control solenoid B", I thought I read somewhere that there was a solenoid on the transmission that can go bad causing problems, I haven't looked up much just a quick glance through my phone and it said that code had to do with Powertrain/transmission, so would that be the obvious guess to the problem of not switching to 3rd from 2nd? Bad Solenoid?

Attached Thumbnails '03 Explorer apparently not shifting into 3rd gear, O/D flashing-obdlink-diagnosticreport.png  
Old 11-08-2015, 10:25 AM

Some solenoids in the trans can be replaced individually and others have to be replaced as a pack/group.
As always, it is best to confirm through testing that the solenoid in question is defective or a possible wiring /connection problem.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:51 AM

According to this website the transmission in this '03 Explorer is a 5R55W, if that's even accurate IDK, is there a way to know by that model of transmission if it would require a pack change or just single solenoids could be changed?

My dad mentioned a modulator valve, but those common symptoms are not present, plus the code is specific solenoid code, he's an old timer (74) and doesn't understand modern technology and advancement in today's cars, so I'm leaning toward the solenoid like the code states.

I watched a youtube video of someone testing a solenoid by applying current to it and listening for a click as well and applying air and that it closed off, IDK if that would tell me whether or not that would be a good enough test. Could it be stuck open or closed and if so, is it possible to try and free it rather than replace it? Naturally I'll check the wiring before anything else, but just throwing idea's out there

Old 11-13-2015, 09:33 AM

Actually FordParts website using the vin shows it has a 5R55s transmission.

Old 03-15-2024, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by mcasdorph
We bought this Explorer used last month, it was a bank repossession and sold as is, unfortunately we didn't test it at highway speeds so we didn't know what I think is a shifting problem, Automatic transmission btw. We were driving along and only got up to about 35 to 40 max, later on I noticed that I can feel the shift from 1st to 2nd, but apparently there is no shifting from 2nd to 3rd, almost like it max's out but wont shift to 3rd, O/D light was flashing yesterday.

Going to read the codes today to see if any new are on it.
Did you resolve the issue? I’m having the exact same issue with mine

Old 03-15-2024, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by mischievous007
Did you resolve the issue? I’m having the exact same issue with mine
Unfortunately no. It ended up with that death rattle with the timing chain and jumped and blew the engine up. I had it setting rusting up to this last summer where I gave it away to junk. Sorry I couldn't be of help.