Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

04 xlt power & starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 03:06 AM
Cool 04 xlt power & starting issues

I bought a used explorer from the local fire dept. They had no problems with it when parked back in Feb. When I bought it the battery was dead but it jumped right away About a week into owning it started to act like the battery was dead but would crank after a few seconds after a few times I noticed my trip reading would reset. today after a weak start my radio has no power and all the power windows are not working. I also have no fuel gage all of a sudden don't know if any of this makes and since but I am at a lose

Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 AM

A good part of the time, when crazy things happen, especially after a vehicle sits unused for a lengthy period of time , corrosion at ground connections could be the cause.
Starting at the ground right at the battery and from there on, even though the connection may look OK, there is resistance and things that operate within millivolts, the slightest poor connection causes problems. A good move would be to remove each connection, clean it, then reinstall it tightly.It takes a little time to do a few, but is worth the trouble. Let us know how you make out with this, thanks.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

So,, the battery is New, and the charging system is tested/working.. Correct?

Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 PM

I had the battery tested today and it is bad so I am putting a new one in. the guy at auto zone said it might fix it but was unsure and he thinks my windows and radio are on the same circuit and is just a blown fuse so I will have to find that as well.