Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

1996 Ford Explorer, any help is greatly appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Exclamation 1996 Ford Explorer, any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey All!
I just bought a 96 explorer 4.0lt for $500...the couple didn't want it and knew I needed something. I smashed up my 05 explorer about 18 months ago, so I'm INCREDIBLY grateful. She has quite a few problems....To start, there seems to be an oil leak, I'm not good at diagnosing, but I've always figured out how to fix my cars myself. It's coming from the center of the engine, but closer to the cab/windshield. It does get burnt off while driving and causes a good amount of smoke....another issue is HORRIBLE acceleration. She seems to be okay under 30...she's weak but I can safely drive around town for the most part...HOWEVER, FORGET ABOUT THE HIGHWAY...I live in Boston and tried to take her on I93 the other day....My pedal was hitting the floor just to get her to climb to 50-60 mph....i could then ease off and she can maintain the speed, but nothing like she should...Fuel pump? The reason i think it could be fuel is when the tank got down to close to empty (I was letting her burn off whatever was in the tank, as she was sitting up in Laconia, New Hampshire for a the better part of a decade, and then put fuel cleaner and better gas, as this was my first refill since buying it) my "Check gauge" light came on... I changed the air filter, and i still have the problem. one last glaring issue are the breaks/rotors... when driving i hear a slight squeek that seems consistent with a spinning tire (i.e as the tire turns you hear, "SQUEEK, SQUEEK, SQUEEK") until i put the SLIGHTEST amount of pressure on the brake then she stops squeeking. She stutters slightly when breaking at speed of 35mph+, and if she's between 5-10 mph and coming to a stop, the ABS starts kicking in and the brake starts bouncing around...hopefully someone might be able to help me out!! I need to get a sticker as i registered it Friday, but the check engine light came on this morning...Thanks again, in advance!! I'm trying to get all the big issues done before winter, no garage at home ..HERE'S TO HOPING AND STAYING POSITIVE!!

-Matt

Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM

How many miles are on the odometer and do you know if it has a 4.0 OHV or a 4.0 SOHC engine?
The brake problem(s) could be a possible wheel speed sensor, wheel bearing(s) or pads.
Plugged converter(s) could reduce power/performance . Did you get any idea of maintenance history, fuel filter etc?

Old 08-24-2017, 11:39 AM

its just 151,000....it's OHV...and i'm thinking it could be a gunked up sensor screwing with the ABS. They got the truck off of the boyfriend's father...and he don't remember anything about it...the put about 950$ into it around may. the only reason I found that out is they left the receipt in the back, i'm gonna give the place a call and see if they can pull up my vin and tell me what they know. i don't think it's bearings...the boyfriend believes they got the brakes done.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:26 AM

When you get something like this , the best thing is to start from the beginning, that way you know what you have.When something like this sits for a long period of time and you have no idea of what is what . the usual things are fuel filter, plugs , belt, battery and connections, coolant , oil and filter etc. With brakes , I wouldn't go by anybody's story, check everything for myself. You may luck out and only need to check things or you could open a can of worms and need to replace everything you touch. Once you get it running good you can go after the drive ability problems and you don't know what you will find there.
If you pull the fuse for the ABS you can stop the pulsing , but will have no anti lock protection. Who knows what they did when they "DID" the brakes.