Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2003 ford explorer xlt v8 spark plug retreading

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 09:05 PM
Default 2003 ford explorer xlt v8 spark plug retreading

hihi everyone,
hoping someone can help me figure out or where to find the specs.
"I'm looking for a kit to retread one spark plug that blew out on me awhile back. I managed to put it back in after it blew out and it stayed for months.
I just went to change my spark plugs and that
one that blew will not accept the new plug. on turning.. it tightens a bit then slips so0o it needs to be retreaded.
I would like to buy a kit cheaper then Cal Van... or should I not mess around and just bite the bullet on cost? on doing my research and youtube ford guys..
its more on/ for the Triton motor

I am at this website...
https://www.carid.com/2003-ford-explorer-thread-repair-tools/?filter=1&field%5B367146%5D%5B%5D=Thread+Repair+Ki ts]2003 ford explorer retreading kits
but I am confused at thread size/ insert height etc...

any input I would so greatly appreciate
thanks bunches!
UneekBeebe

Old 01-16-2023, 05:06 AM

If you botch up this job , you could be looking at head replacement, not a good thing.

Get a good kit from a dealer or auto parts supply store , do the job right and do it once.

Everything depends on doing a good job and be done. Looking for cheapies can get you into trouble.
Nobody knows if you will need to do this job on a different cyl.
The good kits come with instructions that when followed produce good results..

Old 01-25-2023, 02:58 AM

And use lots of grease on the drill and tap to grab all the shredded metal. clean often..

Old 01-25-2023, 03:16 PM

As long as you are contemplating tackling this problem,

If you can, meaning you know how, try to bring the cyl up on the exhaust stroke. That will place the exhaust valve open and if you can shoot some compressed air into the cyl when finished BEFORE installing the new spark plug, you have a better chance of blowing any foreign matter out of the cyl into the exhaust stream, hopefully preventing damage to the cyl wall.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:49 AM

Hi Hanky!
thanks for the input! I did as you said "which I knew" I got a good kit. I did the job!
My first attempt .. after doing it something didn't feel right when I was done.... so I went back out and took it out before it set.
With the Threader kit.. it has no instructions. myself .. thinking which ever incert fits the threads of the spark plug... but something didn't feel right.
I took it out went to Lordco next day.. asked them for the incert for my truck. We walked to the isle and he didn't even have to look. out of all the sizes he just grabbed one. I asked about that.. he said that's what most use. I thanked him .. felt more confident and looking at the middle size it make sense .. with having to tighted it .. it gives you room to "with the middle size"
So I even took a scope my mentor had and looked inside.. no scrapping went in.. I still took the air compressor to it and give a good blast of air a few times!

So thanks again!
now onto my next issue / post for help!
Be well )

She sounds so good! I am so thrilled with myself!
Thanks for your time and advice! Much appreciated!

So the incert to use is the middle one! Thank god I took it out the night before!

Old 03-24-2023, 12:18 PM

Thank You for the update.