Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2004 Explorer Limited with 86K - to buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Question 2004 Explorer Limited with 86K - to buy or not to buy?

Admittedly I've never owned a Ford, but I have always liked the look of the early 2000's Explorers and after driving a 2010 4.6 earlier in the year (replacement vehicle for a short time) I'm leaning towards picking up an early 2000's Explorer.

Long story short, a clean, no accident and relatively low mileage 2004 Limited has shown up at a local dealer and I've been seriously considering picking it up, but according to various review sites, the early 2000 Explorers tend to be problematic (or perhaps the volume of them sold just lends itself to a greater frequency of complaints?) and I'm weary of buying it just before major expected repairs.

Anyhow, here are the specs:

2004 Limited
4x4 - likely rarely used, but I definitely will be putting it through its paces
Condition is excellent, drives great, drives great
Compression @ ~167 or so, but it's even all around
86,000 miles
Driven in relatively warm climate (mild winder conditions, only several days per year of 33 degrees an below)
No accidents

During a test drive I noticed that the ABS light came on after the fifth of sixth engine start. The dealer took it in to a Ford dealership and apparently the code was thrown intermittently but there was nothing actually wrong with the brakes -- or so they say -- and the code has been cleared. ABS light hasn't reappeared since.

So before I make the leap, would you guys be able to weigh in on what I can expect in terms of maintenance for this truck? It's approaching 100k, and I'd sure like to know if right around 86-100k there are typical issues that need addressing.

Also, any advice that you guys might have for testing this thing, any noises to watch out for (I seem to notice a relatively quiet hum from the rear, sort of like the fuel pump is perpetually making noise, while driving), etc.

Thank you!