Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2005 Ford Explorer Rear Wiper Motor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 06:08 PM
Unhappy 2005 Ford Explorer Rear Wiper Motor Issues

Hey y'all i have an 05 Explorer that the rear window motor quit on me, however even after it stopped working i could hear the module trying to engage randomly. And then my battery would be dead from time to time and i would have to jump-start my vehicle. I decided to disconnect the wiring harness from the motor and i even took out both fuses that work with the rear wiper motor, thinking that was causing my battery to die. I brought in my battery to get tested as it is brand new " only a month old" and they said its perfectly fine. However, when i start my vehicle it feels sluggish and when it does start, the gauges don't move up for 30 - 60 seconds.

If anyone could help me with this problem i would be really happy, i have no. clue what is going on.....

Old 06-10-2022, 07:15 AM

Since most components rely on sufficient power to function, it would be a good idea to verify connections are clean and tight.

This would start right at the battery cable connections and those that go into the vehicle.

Battery cables can become corroded internally and not show signs of this problem. How we verify this is a problem is with voltage drop testing .It is not difficult to do .

What you need is a multimeter and some info how to perform voltage drop testing. You could of course replace the battery cables if you decide not to do that, but better to test and make sure you are not replacing good parts.

There could be a problem in the wiring going to the rear wiper motor. That harness is subject to constant flexing everytime the hatch is opened and closed.

Some electrical background and experience is required to verify all is well and if that is not available , best to hand the job over to a qualified person to troubleshoot the problem.