Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2006 explorer help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 11:06 AM
Default 2006 explorer help!

It keeps meting my alternator terminal post! I already got a new alternator 2 weeks ago. From what I can gather it's a loose connection or a ground,but I dont see the problem? I'm learning how to do my own maintenance being single and I cant afford to be stuck,no one to call! If arching why? I noticed that when I was messing with it 2 weeks ago I had more power for a few hrs and now it's back to give it gas doesnt really do anything to get on HWY. I am thinking ground but it seems ok plugged in next to post?

Old 01-26-2021, 02:55 PM

It seems your vehicle has more than one problem.
If I read your post correctly , it says the post on the alternator is getting very hot and corroded yes/no?
Before going any further, the alternator is supposed to only put back into the battery what was used to get the engine started and supply the amount of current that is required to maintain a charged battery when the accessories are being used.. It is not intended to be used as a battery charger to charge dead or near dead batteries, the wiring is not built for that.
If the sytstem has a poor ground connection, depending on where it is, can affect starting, computer functions , and other things that rely on sufficient power to function as intended. If you look in the engine compartment, you will see many different places where wires are fastened to sheet metal of the vehicle. There is a good possibility one of those are corroded underneath what may look like a good connection and yet not be. Make sure they are clean and tight.They are ground wires.
If you follow the heavy gauge (Thick) wire that comes off the alternator (output terminal) it may go to a junction connection that is very possibly corroded. That corrosion causes resistance and heat. This can result in the system .getting a charge signal for full output that is not necessary and causing the alternator to overheat.
Before going any further take a look and see if you can see and follow the wires where there may be some corrosion.
There are lots of folks here that are more than willing to help. Can you do this?
A reminder,,,,, if you are going to clean battery terminals, always remove the negative (-) cable first then the positive (sometimes red cover) cable next. When ready to reinstall the cables , you must install the positive cable first and then the negative cable last. What can happen if you do not follow that procedure and you attempt to remove the positive first,and touch the positive terminal against any metal of the vehicle or negative terminal on the battery you will have provided a path for the battery to discharge and result with sparks and high current drain.. Things get very hot when this happens, so be careful. If you are not comfortable doing any of this , have someone that has some experience help you out with this.
Who replaced the alternator ?

Last edited by hanky; 01-26-2021 at 02:58 PM.