Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2017 Explorer Sport Hesitates / Surges on take off

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:01 PM
Default 2017 Explorer Sport Hesitates / Surges on take off

I have had my 2017 Explorer Sport for about 2 years now and since we got the vehicle, has had an issue where it almost feels like someone is tapping their foot on the pedal for the first 30-40 feet after putting the car in drive, then goes away and there is no other problem while driving.

It only happens when I turn the car on, and when you first put it in drive (you can put the car in reverse, then drive, and it will still do it in drive). I have never been able to duplicate it any other time, other than the initial time putting it in drive after starting the engine.

I have had it into the dealership 5 times now for the same issue. the first couple of times they ran some updates to the computer, another time they wouldn't duplicate the issue (I don't believe the put much effort into it since it literally happens every time) and this last time they replaced the fuel pump with no luck as it is back in the shop right now. This time they are telling me it is a "normal characteristic" of the car and there is nothing they can do.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this same issue, and if you have, have you found any resolution?