Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2017 XLT Instument Cluster and Radio Problem

Old 03-30-2019, 06:01 PM
Default 2017 XLT Instument Cluster and Radio Problem

Hi all,

Bought the above vehicle 2 months ago. Until a couple of hours ago, no issues. Drove it earlier today and parked it in my driveway. I came out to move it and on starting, the instrument cluster failed to come to life. No information display, gauge needles don't move. It seems to run fine but when I turn it off and open the door, the radio keeps playing. Can turn the radio off and on without starting the vehicle. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:01 AM

There is a network of modules in your vehicle. The instrument cluster and radio happen to be just 2 of many on the network. One module apparently is malfunctioning and a capable scan tool is most likely required to check out and determine which one it is. This might also involve the delayed accessory function that usually allows a few minutes of power to certain functions before shutting down once the ignition is shut off.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
There is a network of modules in your vehicle. The instrument cluster and radio happen to be just 2 of many on the network. One module apparently is malfunctioning and a capable scan tool is most likely required to check out and determine which one it is. This might also involve the delayed accessory function that usually allows a few minutes of power to certain functions before shutting down once the ignition is shut off.
Thanks. On further inspection, I found that my gear selection indicators, drive mode indicator and turn signals are malfunctioning as well. Detached my negative battery cable and went to bed last night. I'll have to borrow a scan tool and see what's up.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:42 AM

Among the mysteries of life,

Sometimes disconnecting the negative cable as you have done, will allow some gremlins to leave and it could just happen that your vehicle's problems may have corrected themselves, let us know if that got rid of the problem. Thanks

Old 03-31-2019, 10:22 AM

Yes, disconnecting the negative terminal did the trick. Everything seems back to normal. Thank you for your assistance.