Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

4 way flashers not working on 1999 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Default 4 way flashers not working on 1999 Explorer

The 4 way flashers don't work. Both my left & right turn signals work fine, but not the 4 way flashers. I have replaced the turn signal switch and the 4 way flasher fuse. The bulbs are all good bulbs. The turn signal relay is good. I am not sure what else to try. I work for the Postal Service as a rural carrier and this is the vehicle I use. I have to have the flashers on when delivering mail.

Is there a separate relay for the 4 ways or something else I may have missed? I never thought one would work without the other. Any thoughts as to what might. be going on?

Old 01-29-2018, 04:51 PM

This is what I would suggest if you are going to attempt this yourself.

If you can get it from Ford , great. If not and you decide to get it from an auto supply store you can do that too. OEM usually last longer and if you have the flasher in your hand , now you know what to look for.
The hazard flasher is located behind the dash to the right of the steering column and very likely attached to a holder and well hidden. You will need to remove the dash coverings to get behind that part of the dash. Now, if you have the replacement , look for that part . Sometimes colors match and that makes it easier to locate. Just pull it away from it's mounting and remove the plug. Place the replacement flasher in the plug and confirm proper operation by just depressing the hazard switch. If all is well, assemble in reverse order. They don't quit very often, but can be a stinker to locate the first time. Are you ready to do this?

Old 01-29-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
This is what I would suggest if you are going to attempt this yourself.

If you can get it from Ford , great. If not and you decide to get it from an auto supply store you can do that too. OEM usually last longer and if you have the flasher in your hand , now you know what to look for.
The hazard flasher is located behind the dash to the right of the steering column and very likely attached to a holder and well hidden. You will need to remove the dash coverings to get behind that part of the dash. Now, if you have the replacement , look for that part . Sometimes colors match and that makes it easier to locate. Just pull it away from it's mounting and remove the plug. Place the replacement flasher in the plug and confirm proper operation by just depressing the hazard switch. If all is well, assemble in reverse order. They don't quit very often, but can be a stinker to locate the first time. Are you ready to do this?
Thank you so much for the detailed description. It should help me locate the other flasher.