Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

5r55s "CLUNK" lost 3rd gear!?!?!? Long way from home

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 12:38 PM
Default 5r55s "CLUNK" lost 3rd gear!?!?!? Long way from home

I've got a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 I believe it has a 5r55s transmission.

Ever since I bought it it's had an issue going into third gear and it would slip a little bit but if you feather the gas just right it would go into it no problem. The OBD2 info pointed to a bad solenoid B in the solenoid pack.

But just now when it went to going to third gear I heard a clunk or clang and I just lost 3rd gear!!! I was able to get the car back to the house or I'm staying but either I had to keep the car in 2nd or I was able to rev it high enough while driving in second and then putting it into drive and it barely was able to jump to 4th...

*Edit: Just checked codes and it's showing code P1700

Thankfully I always travel with all of my Mechanics Tools. And I am stuck at my brother's house and he has lots of tools and Jacks and everything else. I've never worked on the transmission before but I'm VERY mechanically inclined...

Can anyone give me some advice please on what could be the culprit? I do not have the money to purchase a new transmission or a car for that matter! So I am willing to do everything it takes to get this fixed myself. PLEASE HELP!

Old 12-28-2023, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by bigjoncoop
I've got a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 I believe it has a 5r55s transmission.

Ever since I bought it it's had an issue going into third gear and it would slip a little bit but if you feather the gas just right it would go into it no problem. The OBD2 info pointed to a bad solenoid B in the solenoid pack.

But just now when it went to going to third gear I heard a clunk or clang and I just lost 3rd gear!!! I was able to get the car back to the house or I'm staying but either I had to keep the car in 2nd or I was able to rev it high enough while driving in second and then putting it into drive and it barely was able to jump to 4th...

*Edit: Just checked codes and it's showing code P1700

Thankfully I always travel with all of my Mechanics Tools. And I am stuck at my brother's house and he has lots of tools and Jacks and everything else. I've never worked on the transmission before but I'm VERY mechanically inclined...

Can anyone give me some advice please on what could be the culprit? I do not have the money to purchase a new transmission or a car for that matter! So I am willing to do everything it takes to get this fixed myself. PLEASE HELP!

I’m sorry I don’t have any advice but I’m on my 3rd transmission on my ‘04 Explorer XLT 4.0 with 170k miles.I believe it has the same transmission. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2023, 05:46 AM

Every time the clutch for that gear slips , it wears more and eventually there is no material left and I would suspect that is the situation with this trans.

If this material doesn't get filtered out it will contaminate the close tolerance valves in the valve body and add additional problems.

What we have is the result of something else that needs to be checked and verified.
I believe all the problems are now within the trans and a replacement or rebuild is necessary. Always a good move to obtain a second or third opinion due to the cost involved.