Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

93 Explorer Auto No Reverse possibly E4LD Trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 03:35 PM
Default 93 Explorer Auto No Reverse possibly E4LD Trans

Trying to help an older guy who doesn't really use the web and is a hotrod head so knows his stuff it seems. He has rebuilt many possibly, but after rebuild the explorer does not move in reverse and other gears fine. Any ideas of what to check, I've seen suggestions of Valve Body but maybe someone else has experience and may have a helpful suggestion. Claims to be an E4LD Trans but im unable to find any information on this and personally know imports so out of my realm

Old 01-11-2023, 02:15 PM

Are you sure it is not an A4LD trans with overdrive?

Is the sticker still on the door or door pillar , if so what trans code do they show there?

Old 01-11-2023, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Are you sure it is not an A4LD trans with overdrive?

Is the sticker still on the door or door pillar , if so what trans code do they show there?

I personally lean towards A4LD and yes Overdrive. Not sure he may just be mistaken because that's what I see for the 93 Explorer. Im not near the vehicle and waiting for him to see if he can check the door and such.

Does seem odd after rebuilding and everything looking good all gears work and move but reverse does not move and revs up. To me sounds like maybe user install issue maybe linkage or I hear valve body, but do not know much more and just trying to help this older guy with his troubleshooting

Old 01-12-2023, 12:41 PM

It is important to know if this was the reason the trans was removed and rebuilt.

Until we know that , we can't be sure if the problem is in the trans or other places.

Some low/reverse clutch assys require a special tool to replace and reinstall that assy. If that was the original problem and that assy was overlooked/ignored , is a possibility.

Old 01-12-2023, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
It is important to know if this was the reason the trans was removed and rebuilt.

Until we know that , we can't be sure if the problem is in the trans or other places.

Some low/reverse clutch assys require a special tool to replace and reinstall that assy. If that was the original problem and that assy was overlooked/ignored , is a possibility.
They rebuilt it due to issues with overdrive clutch and says no special needed, but I'll continue to ask them more information about this.