Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Body Panel Clip reseating

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 09:36 AM
Wink Body Panel Clip reseating

I attached some running boards to my 18 Explorer XLT last weekend.
Part of the instructions had me pop out the retaining clips on the plastic panel moulding under the doors. The clips attach into the rocker panel, so you access them from underneath looking up - there are 6 of them on each side. There are 2 showing in the pic.
The clips don't completely come out, but hang out a bit more to allow the outer panel to come loose so that you can get in between the pinch weld and the plastic moulding. I'm done with the boards, but I can't seem to get the clips back in seated firmly.
At present this really isn't much of an issue because the plastic moulding is jammed in between the rocker panel and the running board. BUT I'm just a bit annoyed and maybe a little OCD that I can't figure out how these go back in.

Looking at the Ford Parts and other websites, I can't even find the Clip listed as a part for the 2018 Exp (2.3L EcoB FWD). --- My best find is a "Rocker panel moulding retaining clip" on Ebay or Amazon with part # 6G1Z-5410182-A. But the Parts websites say that doesn't fit my model...???.

Any "Body" people out there who can give me the instructions on how to pop these back in?

Popping out the Clips - You shove small slotted screwdriver through the center rectangular hole (screwdriver in hand), then pull it back out, then pry the clip loose (as shown).

Last edited by ExplorerPark; 11-09-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:03 PM

Providing nothing has increased the distance for the retainer clip to grab hold, Many times a good blow with the heel of your hand in the area of the clip will flex the material and allow the clip to seat itself.
CAREFUL blows with a rubber mallet also work.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:54 PM

I see, will try it.
Thanks!