Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Car shakes when steering at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Default Car shakes when steering at low speeds

1998 Ford Explorer Sport MT [/align][/align]Just recently my car seems to shake when I make a turn at low speeds.
There is plenty of power steering fluid, so maybe it is the power
steering pump? Any suggestions things to check.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Default RE: Car shakes when steering at low speeds

p/s pump, or rack and pinion probably

Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 AM

same problem as mine... but the diagnose was clutch pack...

Old 04-11-2010, 12:09 PM

how much free play in steering when you drive it?

jack up the front end on jackstands...

lock the steering wheel by removing key from ignition and turn steering wheel till it locks.

get out and grab wheels by hand and try to turn wheels right to left to check for free play in steering system..etc

good steering will not move at all...

just to help narrow it down...

good luck

Old 06-11-2010, 10:31 PM

i have the same truck. 1998 ford explorer sport. i had the same problem. got to the point were if i hit a bump, the front end would shake so bad i couldnt steer. the first time it happened i was in a construction zone and hit a bump and almost hit a construction worker. we took it to a shop and he said it was my rack and pinion. we got that replaced and he did a front end alignment and gave me new belts (idk "where" he gave me belts... he just said he gave me a new one...) and all that jazz in the front end and it was like brand new.... actually it was brand new. my front end had to be rebuilt... which ended up to be about a grand. BUT.... the next day, it did it again... but only once than it was fine for a few months. then my alternator went and when it was running again... it had the same problem. that horrible vibration. i let it sit for a few days than i was forced to drive it due to no other vehicles and within a few days... it stoppped. it never did it again... its like it fixed itself. so if your front end has already been messed with, than it may just be having a fit. but if its untouched. it may be a pricey fix.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by sexyxxxrebelxxx
i have the same truck. 1998 ford explorer sport. i had the same problem. got to the point were if i hit a bump, the front end would shake so bad i couldnt steer. the first time it happened i was in a construction zone and hit a bump and almost hit a construction worker. we took it to a shop and he said it was my rack and pinion. we got that replaced and he did a front end alignment and gave me new belts (idk "where" he gave me belts... he just said he gave me a new one...) and all that jazz in the front end and it was like brand new.... actually it was brand new. my front end had to be rebuilt... which ended up to be about a grand. BUT.... the next day, it did it again... but only once than it was fine for a few months. then my alternator went and when it was running again... it had the same problem. that horrible vibration. i let it sit for a few days than i was forced to drive it due to no other vehicles and within a few days... it stoppped. it never did it again... its like it fixed itself. so if your front end has already been messed with, than it may just be having a fit. but if its untouched. it may be a pricey fix.
Did the issue ever come back? Was it the alignment that fixed it?