Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

2000 Windstar - Hard Downshift 2nd to 1st at Low Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Default 2000 Windstar - Hard Downshift 2nd to 1st at Low Speeds

I have a 2000 Windstar (3.8L, SEL) with 149,000 miles. I had the drive trans replaced in the 60,000 (Ford dealer factory rebuilt). It started showing signs of slipping? (hard downshift) around corners. Also at low speeds it will hard downshift when I accelerate a little aggressively from 2nd to 1st. I also noticed some stutter shift from 1st to 2nd at times. I checked the fluid level.

I have changed out the trans filter and fluid. Also I have tried Amsoil in place of the Mercon V. If I baby the accelerator it seems to downshift fine at low speeds. I'm starting to wonder if I have a speed sensor(s) that are not reading correctly? No engine lights on. ABS light has been on for years.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Your radiator atf cooling coils may be plugged up with clutch debris. Have you done a flow test to see if the atf fluid is going thru the radiator at a rate of about 1 qt. in 15 seconds while idling in park?
Changing atf fluids approx. every 25,000 miles is critical on that model transmission.
this would be a full atf exchange you have done, or just a pan drop and filter, only changing 1/3 the old fluid with new?
I would also suggest an additional auxiliary atf cooler attached in the return line if you have not done so.
When you change fluids, you also want to disconnect the battery to reset the computer so that it relearns shift points with new fluid. Have you done that?

Old 05-06-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by grog11
Your radiator atf cooling coils may be plugged up with clutch debris. Have you done a flow test to see if the atf fluid is going thru the radiator at a rate of about 1 qt. in 15 seconds while idling in park?
Changing atf fluids approx. every 25,000 miles is critical on that model transmission.
this would be a full atf exchange you have done, or just a pan drop and filter, only changing 1/3 the old fluid with new?
I would also suggest an additional auxiliary atf cooler attached in the return line if you have not done so.
When you change fluids, you also want to disconnect the battery to reset the computer so that it relearns shift points with new fluid. Have you done that?
This was my third time doing a fluid/filter change over the last 90,000 miles on this trans. I did disconnect the battery after switching fluid this last weekend.

I did my normal fluid/filter change a couple of weeks ago. After seeing no improvement I went ahead and ordered some Amsoil. I also bought a hand vacuum extractor and pulled out about 5 qts and added the Amsoil. I drove it around for about 15 mins and pulled out about another 5 qts and again replaced it with Amsoil. I figured I got at least 7 good qts. of Amsoil in.

Thanks!

Last edited by drhoads; 05-06-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by grog11
To answer the other question, I did not check flow rates.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Default Torque Converter?

I'm starting to wonder if this is a torque converter problem?
Momentary loss of hydraulic pressure?

Old 05-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Default Terrible Forum!

The help on this forum is worhtless

Old 05-11-2013, 03:34 PM

I can only speak for myself, but sometimes we don't always get the answers we like and some problems can't be solved over the internet.