Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Ford Pass. remote starting not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 04:22 PM
Default Ford Pass. remote starting not working

i have a 2018 Explorer. the remote start from the Ford Pass App stopped working. it will read all the data from the car and remote lock and unlock the doors. It says "ford pass vehicle failed to start. you must drive your vehicle after two remote start events". it wont remote start even after multiple drives. i have re-installed the App, did a master reset of the sync 3 software and have disconnected the car battery to try to reset it. it keeps coming up the same. Please help. Thanks, Brent

Old 09-01-2020, 05:43 PM

Do you happen to have any scheduled start times with the app that starts the vehicle and then it shuts back off after not going anywhere for a set period of time.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
Do you happen to have any scheduled start times with the app that starts the vehicle and then it shuts back off after not going anywhere for a set period of time.
no, it just seems like it’s not recognizing that the car has been driven. I don’t know how to clear that out. tried resetting the Sync3 and disconnecting the battery for a while.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:51 PM

There is a new version of the FordPass app. delete your existing copy download the new one. It's working with the latest iOS software.
TBill

Old 10-25-2020, 08:05 PM
Default Did you find solution?

Originally Posted by barmenta
i have a 2018 Explorer. the remote start from the Ford Pass App stopped working. it will read all the data from the car and remote lock and unlock the doors. It says "ford pass vehicle failed to start. you must drive your vehicle after two remote start events". it wont remote start even after multiple drives. i have re-installed the App, did a master reset of the sync 3 software and have disconnected the car battery to try to reset it. it keeps coming up the same. Please help. Thanks, Brent
I am having the same issue.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:50 PM
Default 2019 Ford Edge won't remote start

Hi,
I am having an issue with my 2019 Ford edge as it is no longer remote starting. I have never ever done any scheduled remote starts I would always just use the remote start each morning before going to work. The last time I was able to get it to remote start was on 5/28/2021. I contacted the help department through the Ford pass app chat and this is the response I got....
"Good evening! This is Darius your Guide at FordPass. I hope that you are doing well tonight. How may I assist you? Hello. How come the app is not longer working to remotely start my car. It hasn't for about a month now and I see other people's reviews saying so also. What's going on and will this be fixed? I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble, Sandra. I am happy to assist. Allow me just a moment to review your vehicles TCU modem details. Ok. Thank you. You are welcome, ma'am. I can see on out end that the last time the remote commands successfully responded was 5-28-2021. It's showing that a Downstream Module Error and "CAN" server timeout error is causing the remote commands to result in a failed start/lock/unlock. This is a common issue that is seen within various 2018-2021 Escapes. Ecosports, Lincoln Nautilus, Corsair, and the Edge. The vehicle will need to be taken to the dealership to have it diagnosed for a TCU Modem software update. You will inform your service center that the TCU Modem within the vehicle is failing to respond to your remote commands and it is resulting in a failed remote start . From there, they will locate the error message and then update the modem Oh wow. Ok. So is this something that costs or is it just a regular software update or is this something covered under warranty and why does this happen? Unfortunately I am not a trained technician or engineer and we are not not equip to give advice on vehicle concerns. The best resources would be the Ford Dealership for assistance after the diagnosis of the vehicle. They would be able to tell you what is covered and not covered with your warranty on the vehicle. As for why the TCU modem failed, this could be caused by many things. Sometimes technology fails, the technicians will be able to read by the codes for you and answer any questions on why it would happen. Ok. I will contact them and make an appointment to get it checked out. Scary to think that there is something wrong with my car that's only two years old and that you say it's a common problem with this vehicle too, sounds like it could continue to happen. Bummer. I'm sorry to have inconvenienced you in any way tonight. Once the TCU modem is updated, you will be all set. Is there anything else that I can take a look at? It's ok, I guess just like you say with anything technical things are bound to happen, you just never want it to be your car you know. No I believe that is all. Thank you for the helpful information so I can work on getting this fixed. Enjoy your Fourth of July weekend, Sandra! Thank you for using FordPass. Again, my name is Darius and it was a pleasure chatting with you today! We are available 7 days a week via the HELP button within the app (Monday-Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST. Friday-Sunday: 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. EST.)"

So I called Ford and scheduled an appointment. The soonest they had was August 25, 2021. So yesterday I took my car in, they had it all day, I had to go down there and stay with the car also because they needed my phone. I was told that they updated the software to the 2020 version and that has not helped. They resynced the car and that did not help. They had me uninstall and reinstall the app and that did not help. So at the end of the day they gave me the car back and told me they have no idea why it's doing that and they are going to have to try and research it to find out what's going on. I spent the whole day calling the service guy at my ford dealership and finally got a call back after trying to get him on the phone for 6 hours. I was told they still don't know what is going on and they have gotten the sales person who sold me the car involved as well now too but no one can tell me why this is happening and can't fix it. This is so frustrating. Can anyone help with this because my ford dealership service people have no idea what to do and I am afraid they are just gonna tell me, sorry don't know why it's working and that will be the end of it. Kindof like "it sucks to be you" type of thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-08-2021, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sandidandi
Hi,
I am having an issue with my 2019 Ford edge as it is no longer remote starting. I have never ever done any scheduled remote starts I would always just use the remote start each morning before going to work. The last time I was able to get it to remote start was on 5/28/2021. I contacted the help department through the Ford pass app chat and this is the response I got....
"Good evening! This is Darius your Guide at FordPass. I hope that you are doing well tonight. How may I assist you? Hello. How come the app is not longer working to remotely start my car. It hasn't for about a month now and I see other people's reviews saying so also. What's going on and will this be fixed? I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble, Sandra. I am happy to assist. Allow me just a moment to review your vehicles TCU modem details. Ok. Thank you. You are welcome, ma'am. I can see on out end that the last time the remote commands successfully responded was 5-28-2021. It's showing that a Downstream Module Error and "CAN" server timeout error is causing the remote commands to result in a failed start/lock/unlock. This is a common issue that is seen within various 2018-2021 Escapes. Ecosports, Lincoln Nautilus, Corsair, and the Edge. The vehicle will need to be taken to the dealership to have it diagnosed for a TCU Modem software update. You will inform your service center that the TCU Modem within the vehicle is failing to respond to your remote commands and it is resulting in a failed remote start . From there, they will locate the error message and then update the modem Oh wow. Ok. So is this something that costs or is it just a regular software update or is this something covered under warranty and why does this happen? Unfortunately I am not a trained technician or engineer and we are not not equip to give advice on vehicle concerns. The best resources would be the Ford Dealership for assistance after the diagnosis of the vehicle. They would be able to tell you what is covered and not covered with your warranty on the vehicle. As for why the TCU modem failed, this could be caused by many things. Sometimes technology fails, the technicians will be able to read by the codes for you and answer any questions on why it would happen. Ok. I will contact them and make an appointment to get it checked out. Scary to think that there is something wrong with my car that's only two years old and that you say it's a common problem with this vehicle too, sounds like it could continue to happen. Bummer. I'm sorry to have inconvenienced you in any way tonight. Once the TCU modem is updated, you will be all set. Is there anything else that I can take a look at? It's ok, I guess just like you say with anything technical things are bound to happen, you just never want it to be your car you know. No I believe that is all. Thank you for the helpful information so I can work on getting this fixed. Enjoy your Fourth of July weekend, Sandra! Thank you for using FordPass. Again, my name is Darius and it was a pleasure chatting with you today! We are available 7 days a week via the HELP button within the app (Monday-Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST. Friday-Sunday: 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. EST.)"

So I called Ford and scheduled an appointment. The soonest they had was August 25, 2021. So yesterday I took my car in, they had it all day, I had to go down there and stay with the car also because they needed my phone. I was told that they updated the software to the 2020 version and that has not helped. They resynced the car and that did not help. They had me uninstall and reinstall the app and that did not help. So at the end of the day they gave me the car back and told me they have no idea why it's doing that and they are going to have to try and research it to find out what's going on. I spent the whole day calling the service guy at my ford dealership and finally got a call back after trying to get him on the phone for 6 hours. I was told they still don't know what is going on and they have gotten the sales person who sold me the car involved as well now too but no one can tell me why this is happening and can't fix it. This is so frustrating. Can anyone help with this because my ford dealership service people have no idea what to do and I am afraid they are just gonna tell me, sorry don't know why it's working and that will be the end of it. Kindof like "it sucks to be you" type of thing. Any help would be appreciated.
I've been having the same issue with my 2017 Escape, but I've found a way that is working for me. I've managed to get remote start to work 6 out of 6 times I have tried it. If I lock the doors using the ford pass app on my phone, I can use remote start with the app and it works. I locked it last night with the app, but I haven't tried remote start yet this morning, but I have high hopes it will work.