Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Hard to fill gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 10:02 AM
Question Hard to fill gas tank

I just purchased a 2002 explorer xlt, in excellent condition in side and out and runs absolutely wonderful, problem is it wont let me put much gas in the tank before shuting the pump off, it even got me with a little gas today. thanksgas gauge says one guarter tank, any help would be greatly appreiciated,

Old 10-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Referred to as the Evap system, there are two valves that are part of the system. One is the purge valve that removes gasoline vapor from the charcoal canister where they are supposed to go when filling, and some go to vapor recovery at the filling station. the other valve is the vent valve that is normally open when filling and the pressure is supposed to go through the canister and out the vent valve. If the filter on the vent valve is blocked with dirt or the valve is stuck closed , that condition can cause the pump nozzle to shut off when trying to fill. Some vehicles also have an automatic close valve in the entrance to the tank which if faulty could require the tank itself to be replaced. Better choice to have the system checked out by someone with a good scan tool that can verify if the valves are electrically working. Sometimes they can work and still be mechanically clogged.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Referred to as the Evap system, there are two valves that are part of the system. One is the purge valve that removes gasoline vapor from the charcoal canister where they are supposed to go when filling, and some go to vapor recovery at the filling station. the other valve is the vent valve that is normally open when filling and the pressure is supposed to go through the canister and out the vent valve. If the filter on the vent valve is blocked with dirt or the valve is stuck closed , that condition can cause the pump nozzle to shut off when trying to fill. Some vehicles also have an automatic close valve in the entrance to the tank which if faulty could require the tank itself to be replaced. Better choice to have the system checked out by someone with a good scan tool that can verify if the valves are electrically working. Sometimes they can work and still be mechanically clogged.
super, I will do as you say, and thank you for your quick response, happy trails friend!!

Old 01-26-2018, 10:16 PM
Default hope this helps

My 96 did the same thing, I replaced all the evap system stuff and it still did it. turns out, the little door or flapper that covers the fill hole where you put in the gas nozzle had broken off and was laying down inside the filler neck. so I just replaced the filler nexk and now gas flows great...no more " splash out" when filling.