Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Humming in the heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Default RE: Humming in the heat

You know, I had a mechanic check out my humming noise and he heard the noise coming from the air filrer. He moved the air filter up and down when the car was running and that was where the noise was coming from. It seems as though the air filter was not sealed correctly. He changed the air filter and it stopped the noise for about two days. He did say that it is a common Ford problem and he changed an idle control valve in a mustang the other day. Well he hasn't changed mine yet. I'm awaiting get our schedules in sync.

But I'm thinking that nothing really holds down the air filter itself under the cover, so can i like put some electrical tape to hold it in place b/c when it's in place and no air gets out it's fine and you don't hear that horrible sound.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:31 AM

Well something is a miss, The top of the filter housing should squish the top of the filter an SEAT the filter in place so it cant pull in un - filtered air , Any chance that possibly some of the screws an or / clamps,,, That hold the top of housing on missing , or stripped out ?, Has the filter been replaced recently- Any chance someone put the wrong one in an its not seating correct ? , Prehaps it was missed boxed ?? , An yes in short term one could use duct tape to hold it, I would have some concerns of the filter rising up if the tape broke loose an sucked it in the motor ( not try to alarm you just pointing out a strong possibilty) An as your TECH . said that is a common problem in high heat for the IAC to start humming , you gotta replace it if it starts ,I think the lil magentic coil gets weak an cant hold the pintle in place .Hope this helps , please come back an let us know how things went .

[sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 09-01-2005, 11:44 PM

Ok, thanks. still waiting for the Mechanic to get back to me to check things out. I don't hear the humming noise as much though and he did put in a air filter.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:25 AM

WOW, a lot of info on this one! I have a 1997 Explorer XLT and it has been doing that "HOOOOT" at idle for a while now!
As soon as you crack the throttle, it disappears! I have another freind with a 1997 Ranger, it does the same thing! I see 2 solutions posted, the IAC and the MAF, which one is it???

Old 09-27-2005, 08:03 AM

Yeah I finally replaced the Idle Control Valve that did the trick. No more humming!