Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

I have a 2015 explorer sport 3.5L T/C looking for fuel pressure sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 11:07 PM
Default I have a 2015 explorer sport 3.5L V6 TT looking for fuel pressure sensor location

Edited to add: located under intake manifold 🤢 Thanks Ford 🙄

Does anyone happen to know where the fuel pressure sensor is located? I want to change it out in hopes that my issues aren't my fuel pump! I'm getting codes P0087 and P008A/P008B. It is Intermittently, usually when merging on the highway, stalling out. I give it gas and it wants to die, then it will stop and I can drive fine again. Triggered check engine light. Then it went off on its own. Then it really stalled out, shut it off, restarted it and off I went? Weirdest **** ever!

Last edited by wundrgrl77; 10-08-2022 at 09:03 PM. Reason: It is a twin turbo which could make a difference
Old 10-07-2022, 11:20 PM

I doubt it's the sensor. Sounds like it's doing its job. You are experiencing your problem mostly when the engine is under peak demands and the sensor wouldn't know the difference.I would try a new fuel filter first. Then if you have the means to tap into the fuel system I would measure the actual pressure to see what it is under all driving conditions, especially when the engine quits.Unfortunately, all codes being set indicate a fuel pump or a wiring issue (high resistance) going to the pump.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by raski
I doubt it's the sensor. Sounds like it's doing its job. You are experiencing your problem mostly when the engine is under peak demands and the sensor wouldn't know the difference.I would try a new fuel filter first. Then if you have the means to tap into the fuel system I would measure the actual pressure to see what it is under all driving conditions, especially when the engine quits.Unfortunately, all codes being set indicate a fuel pump or a wiring issue (high resistance) going to the pump.
This video is same year as my truck and all of the exact same symptoms to a T. The symptoms happen at random even as slow as 20-30km. I have had the rpms drop to almost a stall while idling at a stop light. But then will run incredible for a week with no symptoms at all.

Old 10-08-2022, 04:58 AM

If you are convinced, then go for it. People usually guess and change out a component which they least understand.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:21 AM

Unless you can get the exact fuel pressures which one minute the code shows is too low then another code says too high could very well be that sensor providing incorrect info.
A fuel pump driver module could be on it's way out.

Does your equip provide the desired and actual fuel pressures for conditions?

A thorough check of all power and grounds for the fuel system should be performed before just throwing parts at it.
This could be a little more involved that you realize. The choice to have an experienced shop look into this might be a worthwhile consideration.