Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Multiple problems coming from steering column

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Default Multiple problems coming from steering column

Please help.

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT that I purchasedone year ago used. It has about 32k miles on it but is out of warranty because of the date it was purchased.

After one month of ownership and my wife told me the SUV was not starting right. She would turn the key and the starter would not engage. Dash lights worked but it would not start. After 5 minutes of keying it, it finally started. She had about 5 incidents and I witnessed one personally. It would not start in neutral and I made sure it was in park. I held the key all the way for about 4 minutes and it just kicked in and started. We immediately took it to the Ford Dealer. They could not get the SUV to reproduce the no start but recommended that I change the starter. We finally agreed to change the starter relay first, my recommendation because it was cheaper and I didn't thinkit was a starter problem. Problem solved for about 11 months and it just now did a delay for about 20 seconds two weeks ago.

When it gets under 30 degrees(I live in Indiana)you can turn the right turn signal on and a weak horn honks. It will not do it every time but it will almost always do it right when you first start it up after sitting through the cold night. It will also do it a few times as you drive it, but never consecutively. The regular horn is about twice as loud at the turn signal horn. If I have a 10 minute drive I could probably get it to honk about 3 times. The dealer replaced some horn contacts but it did not fix the problem.

The cruise control shuts off after about 5 minutes after setting. This started right after they replaced the horn contacts two months ago. When I set the cruise, all is fine for about 5 minutes. Then the cruise cancels and the SUV starts slowing down. It does not turn all the way off because I just have to hit set again and it is ok for another 5 minute. It will not resume so you just have to speed back up and hit set.

The washer button will work some days and then not work for days in a row. This also started when they replace the horn contacts. I thought the fluid had frozen but then it started spraying again. When it does out you cannot even hear the washer pump trying. It is like the button is disconnected.

All these problems seem to be centered around the steering column. Anybody have any ideas or run into the same problem?