Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.
View Poll Results: Should I spend money on my 4x4 2004 Explorer?
Fix it up!
0%
Spending $ on it = STUPID!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Seeking advice on whether to "fix up" my 2004 4x4 Explorer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 01:23 PM
Lightbulb Seeking advice on whether to "fix up" my 2004 4x4 Explorer.

I need a car again (as opposed to sharing one with my wife). I own (and still love) a 4x4 2004 Explorer NBX ("No Borders Experience"). I think this makes it a SportTrac. I am the only owner.

It has been sitting in the garage for 3+ years now. Sitting because there seems to be problem with the transmission (engaging reverse). I won't be spending the money on a new or more recent 4x4 soon and am wondering if trying to make it "safe and reliable" again and save money at the same time is doable, smart or stupid.

The tires were fairly recent, but at least one is "flat". Don't know if they rot just sitting in the garage (with the heat of the Texas sun outside).

The "new" battery I put in few years ago seems to not hold any charge (i.e. the card immediately stops when i disconnect the jumper cables I used to start it).

Other than those things, I don't know of anything wrong with it.

~94,000 miles on it.

I have a pretty complete work history, (more costly) examples include:
("quotes" indicates that the history from this shop (most work was done at one place) doesn't specifically say "replaced" or what exactly was done (I assume replaced etc though).)

2018 replace fuel pump, fuel rail,, sensors, gaskets, etc.
2017 replace front control arms
2016 "rear hub bearing left-rear"
2014 "inner and outer tie rod ends"
"rear / front sway bar, links"
2014 "front rotors, rear rotors, front / rear brakes with pads"
2012 "upper / lower radiator hoses, serpentine belt, idler pully, belt tensioner pully, font pinion seal, front differential service"

Plus various electronics: windows up/down. AC problems fixed etc.

Over the life of the vehicle it looks like around $12k or so was spend on maintenance and fixes. I hate to throw all that away. I also love and use(d) the 4x4 (beach, ranch)...

Seems to me I could have the transmission rebuilt (fixed?), even replace/rebuild the engine and still save $20-30k vs a new Camry or something for running around.

Am I dumb, crazy? Is it too old now, to get parts etc? It even has a decent stereo and I could see re-painting it. The "sport facbric" is in great condition and the inside looks fine.

Oh... I just remembered that I did rear end someone long ago (an idiot that stopped for no reason! 8) (other than probably to "scam me")). The coolant was leaking and the front end was smashed up. So body work and "x" work was necessary. I don't have the details on that one. I'd have to ask my insurance to try to figure out what shop even did that work...

Thoughts, advice? If I should proceed, what's first? (I assume have a mechanic check it out... before a transmission shop I guess would be the question.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CH9797; 07-01-2022 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:38 PM

It was nice of you to disclose some of the vehicle's maintenance history.

Don't laugh, there is probably a newer one with the possible same history out there and that person asking themself the same questions.

Maybe you might want to have the same mechanic check them both. Instead of you pulling out your hair wondering , let the mechanic pull out his hair.

Will certainly follow this thread to watch what suggestions come up.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:59 AM

Fix it if the body and frame are good..Get a battery and then start with the transmission using a good transmission shop. With only 94k miles, it may not be that serious. I would not rebuild the engine, unless you do the work yourself. To pay someone to rebuild would not be worth it. Even with the cost of the battery, transmission repair and any maintenance, that amount would equate to the sales tax you would pay on a new vehicle.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:45 AM

Thank you for your thoughts.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:46 AM

Appreciate your input. Still deciding though - other factors...

Old 07-20-2022, 11:58 AM

Aside from the accident damage, the rest could be considered routine maintenance. Things do wear out and break.

Consider getting a few estimates from some trans shops.
If you do decide to have the trans work done, consider a remanufctured transmission. They have all new parts, the latest updates and come with a better warranty

Old 07-20-2022, 03:21 PM

Whether it's routine maintenance is irrelevent. It's money to be spent to get his Explorer fixed up. It all has to be accounted for and he has to make the decision.