Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Strange Clicking and Squealing sounds, 2021 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Default Strange Clicking and Squealing sounds, 2021 Explorer

My 2021 Explorer XLT has been doing the following since day one. When I first open any door (vehicle turned off), there's a noticeable "squealing" sound coming from under the hood along with rapid erratic clicking sounds coming from under the dashboard. The clicking sounds are similar to those that a door lock actuator makes, but are numerous and erratic in timing. This happens (both the squealing and clicking) each time you open any door. It's quite annoying! Once the car is started, the sounds go away. When you turn off and exit the vehicle, the sounds return on and off for about a minute. Sometimes, I walk into the garage after the vehicle has been off for hours and the clicking sounds can be heard, even without the key fob on my person. Is anyone else experiencing these conditions? I took it to dealer, but the sounds can't be heard in their service garage because of too much shop noise. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2021, 02:01 PM

Hi-Jack the tech and take him/her for a cup of coffee. Guarantee "they" will hear it then.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:06 PM
Default Following

I am watching to see what y’all find out because, all I was told is that it’s NORMAL 🤦🏻‍♀️

Old 04-26-2022, 03:37 PM

Here's what I've learned. The clicking sounds are "normal" on many new cars these days. The sounds are caused by relays and timers that turn the car's electrical components on and off. For example, you'll hear a click when a timer/relay tells the interior lights to turn off several seconds after you close a door. As far as the squeal or whine sound, it's coming from the throttle body. I had the throttle body replaced and it now only makes the squeal/whine sound when the driver's door is opened. Before, it made the sound when any door was opened. The sound comes from an actuator on the throttle body that opens the butterfly flap valve. It does this to prepare the engine for starting.

All I can say is that none of my older cars ever made any of these sounds. I guess this is new technology and we'll just have to live with it.