Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

04 New style F-150 leaking major

Old 03-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Default 04 New style F-150 leaking major

Hello everyone any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have a 04 new style v8 5.4L F-150 , during a regular commute the system indicated me to check the gauges and the temperature surpassed the red line by alot. I panicked immediately pulled over and checked under the hood, it had no coolant/water , i let it cool pour in some water and took it home. When i got home i checked the radiator for leaks but there was nothing, i went under the truck and it was leaking really bad, it is close to the right tire i believe its near the motor and transmission could anyone assist me with this problem.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM

I can't tell from here where the leak is , but maybe I can put your mind at ease some.
The newer ford engines will cancel out pairs of injectors to prevent engine damage due to overheating and they alternate cyls so as to pump cooler air through the cyls to help keep the temp from damaging the engine. Suggest you check with your local Ford dealer service dept to get exact year they started this. I'm pretty sure your in luck at least with that.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM

Just a guess here but if the leak is anywhere near the junction of the block and the transmission my bet would be a head gasket or a cracked head or block. The coolant in any engine is contained within the water jacket, a hollow cavity surrounding the combustion chambers, and the radiator and hoses. If your leak isn't in the radiator or any of the hoses the possibilities are limited. That being said, have you checked the heater hose connections on the firewall which are above the area you mentioned near the RF wheel.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:29 PM

My 99 F-150 had a head gasket leak in the same spot. It was dripping on the starter. It leaked about 1 gallon per 2 hours. I changed the gaskets and surfaced heads. Not a fun job.