Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'17 F150 with base 3.5, 104M miles warning messages

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 08:15 PM
Default '17 F150 with base 3.5, 104M miles warning messages

A few days ago I started receiving multiple warning messages on my dash, but no check engine light. These messages stated faults or service needed to the ABS system, steering assist, hill start assist, and traction control. Plus the Cruise Control doesn't work. I borrowed a few different code readers, but did not get any codes from the readers. Most or all of the messages seem to be related to the ABS sensors on the wheels, or that sort of sensor. All the fuses look good. If anyone else has seen this constellation of messages, and found a solution, it would sure be good to know.
Thanks,
Dave

Old 06-30-2020, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

It sounds like you have an ABS or chassis related fault. Because all of these systems work together the multiple warning lights are telling you that multiple features are unavailable due to this fault.

If these warning lights are on, you definitely have a code in one of the modules, but more than likely your code readers can't access it. Most basic code readers only read engine codes unless otherwise specified. You will either need a code reader with ABS capabilities or a full fledged setup that can read all system modules.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:40 PM

Thanks for replying. Yesterday I noticed a noise coming from my front end. I know from experience that a bad sensor or bad wheel bearing are 2 common generators of the warning messages I got. So I jacked up the LF tire, and sure enough, there was lots of play in the wheel. It's actually kind of scary noisy now, but am hoping to limp it to Friday when the new hub and bearing arrive. It'appears very simple to do the change out on an F150, since the hub and bearing unit simply bolts into the steering knuckle. I struggled doing the same procedure on my Escapes, where you had to press the bearing out and press it back into the knuckle. Not fun. If this diagnosis indeed fixes the problem, I will respond again.
Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-01-2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by fe385
Thanks for replying. Yesterday I noticed a noise coming from my front end. I know from experience that a bad sensor or bad wheel bearing are 2 common generators of the warning messages I got. So I jacked up the LF tire, and sure enough, there was lots of play in the wheel. It's actually kind of scary noisy now, but am hoping to limp it to Friday when the new hub and bearing arrive. It'appears very simple to do the change out on an F150, since the hub and bearing unit simply bolts into the steering knuckle. I struggled doing the same procedure on my Escapes, where you had to press the bearing out and press it back into the knuckle. Not fun. If this diagnosis indeed fixes the problem, I will respond again.
Thanks,
Dave
The new hub should come with a new sensor/harness, if you did a escape bearing then the f150 one will be easy, make sure you have a long breaker bar though, Ive had to use my 3 foot cheater pipe before to get those four bolts to move.
do you have drastically oversized wheels? we see semi frequent abs bearing issues when they are running monster tires, the hubs just arent designed to take all that extra weight.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
The new hub should come with a new sensor/harness, if you did a escape bearing then the f150 one will be easy, make sure you have a long breaker bar though, Ive had to use my 3 foot cheater pipe before to get those four bolts to move.
do you have drastically oversized wheels? we see semi frequent abs bearing issues when they are running monster tires, the hubs just arent designed to take all that extra weight.
Right, the sensor does come with the hub, since in the front the sensors are much more integral to the hubs these days. No goofy tires/wheels - just the stock one's. Thanks for the tip on the wrench. I do have a 1/2" drive breaker bar. I also have a pipe that slips over the handle of my 3/8" and 1/2" breaker bars that has proven very useful in providing additional leverage in situations like these.
I'm not sure know why the bearing failed at this seemingly low mileage. I've never submerged the hubs, and don't use the truck commercially. It may have been due to a time when I was trying to jockey a boat and trailer back into the garage a couple of years ago. There was a lot of snow, and I just couldn't get the trailer backed in. During that attempt, the wheels were really hung up in snow, and I suspect the the hubs got melted snow in them with all the jockeying back and forth in 4WD.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by fe385
Right, the sensor does come with the hub, since in the front the sensors are much more integral to the hubs these days. No goofy tires/wheels - just the stock one's. Thanks for the tip on the wrench. I do have a 1/2" drive breaker bar. I also have a pipe that slips over the handle of my 3/8" and 1/2" breaker bars that has proven very useful in providing additional leverage in situations like these.
I'm not sure know why the bearing failed at this seemingly low mileage. I've never submerged the hubs, and don't use the truck commercially. It may have been due to a time when I was trying to jockey a boat and trailer back into the garage a couple of years ago. There was a lot of snow, and I just couldn't get the trailer backed in. During that attempt, the wheels were really hung up in snow, and I suspect the the hubs got melted snow in them with all the jockeying back and forth in 4WD.
Cause you have 4WD you will have to remove the axle nut cap with a flathead screwdriver and removed the nut. be careful lining the axle splines to the new hub, put one hand on the cv boot and change the angle to match the hub, the escape cv axles usually slide right in but the F150 cv axles take a more precise hand. The most important thing is when you are installing the nut for the cv axle its not like a car where you can tighten it like crazy, its only 30 foot pounds on that nut. DO NOT GO OVER TORQUE IT.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:40 PM

Scott, those are great tips. Yes, as I remember, the CV axle nut on the Escape was over 100 ft. llbs. I like and use the Haynes manuals, but they can be a bit abbreviated in their instructions.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:01 AM

So the replacement hub and bearing came a day early yesterday. I was able to get everything replaced yesterday afternoon. Though some of the warning messages came back on startup, they were gone after I drove a few miles for dinner, shut down, and restarted. My Cruise works again now too. Just hoping I didn't screw something else up in the process (all seems good). I should probably break down and get a good scanner.
I want to thank both Scott Butler and DTC Assist. In a very few posts they provided highly pertinent and valuable tips. I was on another forum initially, and I got little in the way of helpful info. Unfortunately there were snarky comments as well.
Thanks so much again,
Dave