Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

2002 F150 Key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Default 2002 F150 Key stuck in ignition

Just happened, when turned it off.
It goes thru All positions, starts Trk, etc., just will not come out.
Tried to remove in all Auto gear shift positions, foot on brake, NADA.
There is no lock-lever to remove key, like on some cars.
Hope I'm just missing something simple.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 PM

It's pretty easy to replace the tumbler assy. I have a feeling you may be doing just that.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
It's pretty easy to replace the tumbler assy. I have a feeling you may be doing just that.
If it was not a Chip or Ohms key, I would put a pliers on it and pull hard... assuming one or two tumblers are hanging up? You say "easy to replace the tumbler assy" - I would think anything to do with the ignition key would be diffecult... for theft deterent. Sounnds like any replace to the female key hole, has a possibility of screwing up the Chip key? Now I'm into big $ to have a couple made?? etc.?
Really bewildered on what mechcanism Ford has in there, that can put that much of a 'hold' on the key. Have pulled fairly hard on.
If you have any DIY reference steps in this 'replacement', please let me know, or site/URL I can find. thanks much.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 AM

Do you have a second coded key that worked? Have a locksmith do the job, it should be cheaper than a dealership since a coded key is involved.

Last edited by hanky; 04-03-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Default 2002 F150 Key stuck in ignition - FIXED

Problem solved, JFYI, here's what I did.

First, the reason the key did not remove, is the key switch was not going "all the way off" to the left. It turned the engine and lights off, but you could not tell it was not going all the way left. No markings on column, etc. And was very close per sight.

1) removed the key and tumblers via the key-on and the small punch in hole at bottom of column.

2) the key and tumblers worked just fine outside of column, and when turned the key to left some more, it came out. It worked just fine, so the 'problem' was the 'thing' the key-tumblers-component was turning in the column, at bottom of tumblers.

3) a plain screwdriver would not work, had to make a tool that looked like the bottom of the tumblers-SW. Similar to a cemetery cross with the horizontal part wide/fat.

4) used that tool with force to turn the 'thing' the key-tumblers-component was turning in the column, to the left a Qtr-Inch. Then sprayed some WD40 down the hole, worked my 'tool' back and forth a few times till is was very easy, wiped out the hole.

5) Put the 'thing' back to where it was with the tool, which is approx. in the key-on position.

6) Installed the key-tumblers-component back in, it also in approx position as was in when removed.

Checked the key movement, now goes all the way to left, and key can be removed. I took a marker, and marked lines on the column, where each of the ACC/OFF/ON-Run would be if the key worked fine.
If would have had this on Col. originally, would have known right away that the key was not going all the way back left.

Hope this helps the next person...

Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM

As you now know, replacing the tumbler, if necessary, is not that difficult.
Glad you were able to correct the problem.
Thanks for sharing the work with us.