Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

2018 F150 Transmission/misfire issue

Old 03-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
I may have missed it somewhere. Just out of curiosity, did the noise start after an oil change? Maybe too light or too heavy weight of an oil installed? I may have missed that somewhere. Just throwing ideas out there and grabbing the straws per say.

I know, I run AMSOIL's P.I. fuel additive (which also lubricates the fuel system and upper cylinder area) in my 2015 3.5 ecoboost and the mechanical fuel pump is barely audible unless I have the hood open. Even then, it's quiet. That's the only noise my engine makes. I also run AMSOIL's 10W-30 Signature oil with dual remote by-pass filtration system, so I have 8 qts oil running thru my system instead of the normal 6 from the added capacity.
The truck is 2018 fx4 5.0 10 speed. I bought new in December.It's not a knock noise,but it sounds like a small backfire after accelerating up to about 30-40 mph and you let off. It began at about 3700 miles on it. I took it in at 4200 miles. Dealership did the tsb 18-2354,which changed the transmission shift points some. I checked my oil afterwards and it was low. I went back and asked that according to their service sheet all fluids were checked..??? So it was still making the sound and they kept it for a week. So the oil and filter was changed lDoing an consumption check now. I was told that the sound is a characteristic of those like vehicles. This is coming from Ford and the service manager. No the truck runs great and is not knocking. But the noise is what I am not sure of. I'm going to wait a while and will take it to another dealership to see what they think..I think it's a fuel issue,as in a injector staying open too long. It only does after deceleration or gear shift. There is no jerking. Sounds like a hand clap or a pop in the catylitics..

Old 03-08-2019, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigB

The truck is 2018 fx4 5.0 10 speed. I bought new in December.It's not a knock noise,but it sounds like a small backfire after accelerating up to about 30-40 mph and you let off. It began at about 3700 miles on it. I took it in at 4200 miles. Dealership did the tsb 18-2354,which changed the transmission shift points some. I checked my oil afterwards and it was low. I went back and asked that according to their service sheet all fluids were checked..??? So it was still making the sound and they kept it for a week. So the oil and filter was changed lDoing an consumption check now. I was told that the sound is a characteristic of those like vehicles. This is coming from Ford and the service manager. No the truck runs great and is not knocking. But the noise is what I am not sure of. I'm going to wait a while and will take it to another dealership to see what they think..I think it's a fuel issue,as in a injector staying open too long. It only does after deceleration or gear shift. There is no jerking. Sounds like a hand clap or a pop in the catylitics..
I see you have a FX4, is the truck on sport mode, descent control, trailer tow mode? if so, it could be just engine breaking.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:59 AM
Default Oil consumption 5.0

Originally Posted by knoppers
I see you have a FX4, is the truck on sport mode, descent control, trailer tow mode? if so, it could be just engine breaking.
. I run in normal mode. The sound is mostly heard at lower gears at higher rpms. After gaining speed and then letting off. There is a procedure that Ford has to go through,but it involves taking the intake off and checking some sort of gate lever. Also Ford has just put out a new TSB for oil consumption on March 1 for the 2018 5.0 liters. It starts with a new PVC valve. Then monitoring the oil levels. The end result could be a long block change out..

Old 03-10-2019, 11:35 PM

"It starts with a new PVC valve"...?
Sounds like Ford knows there is a compression/blow-by issue. Which brings me back to their use of the thin coating of spray-on bore liner (Plasma Transferred Wire Arc) and it's actual durability.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2018 F150 5_0 TSB 19-2058.pdf (310.4 KB, 82 views)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
"It starts with a new PVC valve"...?
Sounds like Ford knows there is a compression/blow-by issue. Which brings me back to their use of the thin coating of spray-on bore liner (Plasma Transferred Wire Arc) and it's actual durability.
I mentioned something about the bores to the dealers shop foreman. He said that there are liners, but the rings aren't seating well. Thus that could explain the oil consumption. I am down some in a 1000 miles. Getting the PVC renewed today..

Old 04-09-2019, 09:06 PM

Update on my truck. I took it back to the dealership. They have had it for 5 days and finally got a phone call from the HEAD service department manager. They are replacing my VCT solenoid. He said that will solve my lack of power, rattling noise, and hesitation/stuttering. Maybe this is confusing something with the tranmisssion the entire time.?!?!?!?

Thoughts or comment?

Old 04-11-2019, 06:01 AM
Default New long block

Originally Posted by dominatorwvu
Update on my truck. I took it back to the dealership. They have had it for 5 days and finally got a phone call from the HEAD service department manager. They are replacing my VCT solenoid. He said that will solve my lack of power, rattling noise, and hesitation/stuttering. Maybe this is confusing something with the tranmisssion the entire time.?!?!?!?

Thoughts or comment?
The new long block runs and sounds good so far. But there's still the same pop noise as before. Dealership is telling me that it's a normal characteristic of the engine. I'm having a hard time believing that since there are many more trucks that are not having this issue.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:15 PM

I own a 2018 xlt 3.5 ecoboost. Recently 8th, 9th and 10th gear are have become very frustrating. I find myself using manual shifting. If in the higher gears, slight throttle increase makes the truck shutter. I can watch the the rpm fluctuate about 200-300 rpms. If I mash the pedal, it will downshift and everything is fine.