Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

2018 F150 Transmission/misfire issue

Old 02-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Default Feb Software Update

At the beginning of February a Ford Engineer came in to drive my drive. He had new software for the transmission that was not yet available to the dealer. The new software improved the issue of stuttering and the transmission is 90% better. It is still not smooth on shifting on speeds 0 - 40 MPH.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:35 AM

Thank you for this information. I as well, have a Ford Engineer coming Feb 20 to look at my truck. I will assume he will do the same thing.

I went to the BBB to claim a "lemon law" on the truck. the ford eng. is the last line of defense before I can get my money back and turn in the truck.

I will keep you posted on what they tell me. I feel like they are taking miles and years away from my truck with these issues, even if it is fixed or 90% fixed.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:02 PM

I have a random question for the group, only as I have had some issues with the dealership and have recently elevated it to Ford corporate with discussions through a regional manager.

Do yall happen to have the upgraded B/O Soundsystem in your trucks? The reason I ask, is I have noticed a high pitched feedback noise in the cab coming from the tweeters. After the dealership replacing the tweeters, and the whole Soundsystem without fixing the problem, they finally brought a like truck to see if it made the noise as well. This truck not only made the noise, but it was louder than my truck. Since this truck made the noise as well, they told me they cannot help me further. I am going to unhook the tweeter speakers after work to see if this rectifies the problem finally. I have another call scheduled with the Ford regional manager Monday to talk about the next steps. I was curious if anyone has been on the forefront of discovering a recall and what I should be insistent on upon my call on Monday.

Thank you for your feedback.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:54 PM

what was the resolution to your problem after the ford engineer came in with the software update??

Old 03-08-2018, 03:42 PM

Ford engineer didnt update software with mine.

invoice stated, "plugged into system....found no errors or misfire". they didnt even test drive it. I dont need a machine to tell me if my truck runs rough. i went to BBB now. very upset iwth ford and their lack of concern or detail with this issue. worthless!

Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM

please let me know what happens from there.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:18 PM
Default Same situation

We are having the exact same issue with our truck at 6500km. We took it in to be checked. We were told that we need to have the body valve replaced. We were very upset to say the least that our brand new truck is having issues.

They removed the transmission pan and main control assembly and replaced the valve body assembly. Then tried to give it back.

It was NOT better. Potentially even worse then before. They told us "it needs to get used to our driving". We told them we were not comfortable taking it on the highway with our 4 kids as sometimes it shifts to neutral when merging or passing. So they took it back again. We are very upset with the service we have recieved so far.

My husband just went to pick up again and says it still isn't right. Extremely frustrating. Waiting for the service report to see what they have done to our "new" truck now. We'll over a month now that we have been in a rental. (2018 Expedition &#128076 - side note *the rental has the SAME transmission and drives so smooth, no "harsh shifts" at all and I'm sure it hasn't gotten used to being driven by someone new every week as a BUDGET rental car.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Sorry to hear the same issues and same service BS from Ford. I am at 14000 miles and still have the same issues that the service dept says they do not hear or feel when driving. I am so disappointed with Ford. I am looking to purchase a new Ram instead. The lack of concern, ability to admit their is an issue or fix it is even more concerning.

Same here with rentals....they run smooth and normal! i said this before but my 2004 F150 with over 250k miles ran smoother.

Keep me posted if they do get it resolved.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Default Warranty Claims

Originally Posted by hanky
Believe it or not, the engine computer learns and adjusts to your driving habits and now so does the transmission computer.
If there is a misfire problem present , that is easily confirmed with the dealership or other hi end scan tool.
First who are you speaking with when you register your complaint, Service advisor , Service Mgr, or Janitor?
Insist on speaking with either the Service Mgr or the dealership Owner. The owner is concerned with selling vehicles and negative advertisement doesn't help sell vehicles.
Sometimes "Customer service from the Company falls short and on top of that the dealership is privately owned and Persistence does pay!
Unhappy customers are sometimes difficult to deal with , but Pleasant customers are much easier to greet and work with. If you had your choice, which would you prefer ? It's tough when you fork over a bundle of $$$ and get ignored when your new vehicle doesn't perform as you might expect or there is something not right. What would happen if you were to insist that someone ie., Svc Mgr go for a brief ride to see your concern?
surprised they will not engage. Ford Pays the Dealers about $134 an hour for warranty work. That is usually more than what a Dealership Bill's its customers.
they are crazy not to take on that job.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:29 PM

I can't speak for Ford dealerships or any other for that matter,but a lot of dealerships have problems getting qualified people to work in the service dept and I suspect compensation may be part of the problem.
So, with that in mind, maybe a different dealership may have better luck trying to get to the bottom of your vehicle's problem.

The vehicles are getting so complicated and training must be ongoing , which if not carried out the customer ultimately pays, and this is not limited to certain dealerships.
A lot of good techs have come and gone from forums, but there are some that have dedicated their knowledge to help where they could.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 F150 Transmission/misfire issue