Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Ford F150 spun bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 03:27 PM
Default 2018 Ford F150 spun bearing

Hello, I am new here. I need your input on this. Thanks in advance

have a 2018 F150, I bought it 4 months ago with 40, 152 miles on it. At I have only put about 7400 miles on it. The truck is still under the 60k mile powertrain warranty. On Apr 1st I got an oil change at a full service mechanic shop. On April 3rd, about 50 miles after the oil change, the truck lost oil pressure and acceleration, and had a terrible knock. I got the car towed back to the shop that did the oil change, a tech took the truck into the engine bay, and I waited outside, which in hindsight, I should have been there over his shoulder while he inspected the truck. They couldn't give me a solid answer on what happened that day. They told me I would need to wait a couple of days for someone to look at it. I thought that was unacceptable, so I immediately had a tow come get it, and take it to the Ford dealer. Ford submits a claim to prior approval, and the claim was denied, because Ford blames the shop for not putting enough oil in the engine. Ford's findings are, I have spun a bearing, and will need the engine to be replaced. I take this info back to the shop, and they suggest the oil pump is bad. They have Ford do an oil pressure test, and it fails unofficially. Ford still denies the warranty, basically still blaming the shop for not putting enough oil in the engine. At this point, I strike a deal with the shop to replace my engine with one basically new, and I just have to pay $1500 for the deductible. This week, the shop did a teardown on the engine, and they have suggested that the oil pressure sensor(solenoid) may have gone bad. They are buying a brand new one from Ford to test it against the one in my truck. Every person I talk to at Ford says the shop is full of ****, and they messed up my oil change.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..
What engine?

Had something similar happen to a commercially operated F250.

It was taken to a quick type oil change shop, it was dropped off there though, at about 11:30. It was picked up at 12:30 or so. The driver started off down the road after the service and within a sort drive the engine seized/locked up. It was towed back to the shop but after some sit time and engine cold soak (and after their inspection) it broke free and the engine started back up. Turned out, the service tech drained the oil prior to lunch, and either he or another tech finished the job after lunch and didn't refill the oil 'at all' The service advisor told the driver that the engine had a 'engine shutdown' safety should there be a complete loss of oil..They called me,, yeah,, NO such option.. We argued the point a bit, and I told the advisor to put in writing as to the cause, and his 'belief'. So,, after a fresh fill of oil and sending the driver on his way, the engine had a catastrophic failure within hours. They covered the complete R&R of the engine with a Ford re-manufactured...

You could have Ford or another trusted shop look over the torn down engine.
With a 2 stage oil pump (solenoid) the default (if no voltage signal is supplied by the computer) would be high oil pressure. With lower pressure commanded or 'switched' for engine ops at 1000-3000 RPM ranges oil pressure is maintained at 20-30lbs PSI under normal engine loads.

The fact that the engine failed within miles of the service, I'd be very suspect as to what was/was not done as well

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-24-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:54 AM

I am still scratching my head why you would have taken your new truck to a flunky shop for an oil change.Did you check the dipstick to actually see if there was oil in there? Myself, if I can't do it, I would have the dealer do it. That way there is no finger pointing. I feel bad for you because you are between a rock and a hard place. I hope it works out for you.

Last edited by raski; 05-25-2020 at 06:56 AM.