Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-150 Platinum 2019 Burning Oil 5.0 L V8

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 03:00 PM
Angry F-150 Platinum 2019 Burning Oil 5.0 L V8

I have an F150 platinum 2019, before the first oil change at 8000 miles I had to add 3 quarts. I am working with the tech with consumption monitoring. Looks like it is burning oil 1/2 quart every 1000 miles before the TSB. I took in and they did the TSB, it took a couple of weeks to get the new dip stick at which time they topped off the oil and burned a new chip. I will take back when it is a quart low so I have their word on consumption rate. Maybe TSB fixed the problem.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:34 PM

I would have never taken the first oil change out to 8k miles.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

^^^^^
Oils cheaper than engines..
With some of the oil life monitoring, and suggested intervals, I’d never go out that far.....

Old 03-04-2020, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
^^^^^
With some of the oil life monitoring, and suggested intervals, I’d never go out that far.....
Problem is the oil life monitor doesn't take into account all the small breakin metals suspended which are too small to get trapped by the filter.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:17 PM

I agree, first new vehicle though and was following owners manual along with the instrument gauge. I talked to the service tech before I bought the vehicle and the salesman. The salesman said the new vehicles don't need a break in period. It was not until I brought it in, the service manager said hey you should bring it in every 5000 miles. Would be nice if they told you that at time of purchase (or included in documentation). Does not answer the question about the oil burning.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
^^^^^
The oil life monitor on this vehicle is set to 8000 miles along with the documentation.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:52 AM
Default Engine Oil burning

Well took in for 2nd oil change, they are finally doing consumption check after hearing of complaints nation wide. I requested this test during my first oil change. My oil consumption measurements suggest 2000 miles/quart of oil, the vehicle has 12,000 miles on it. Apparently 2018, 2019, and 2020 is affected. I had the TSB done at the first oil change, but made no difference. As a fix, ford has a longer dip stick, go figure. I would be interested if others have had this problem. I know there is a class action suite against Ford and at least 3 TSB out attempting to address the problem. What is ford position on the F150 5.0 liter V8, 2018-2020.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:46 PM
Default 2018 F-150 Lariat 5.0 burning oil

Originally Posted by George L Mason
I have an F150 platinum 2019, before the first oil change at 8000 miles I had to add 3 quarts. I am working with the tech with consumption monitoring. Looks like it is burning oil 1/2 quart every 1000 miles before the TSB. I took in and they did the TSB, it took a couple of weeks to get the new dip stick at which time they topped off the oil and burned a new chip. I will take back when it is a quart low so I have their word on consumption rate. Maybe TSB fixed the problem.

I saw your responses on a different thread about getting the BBB involved and Ford buying your truck back but I can’t seem to find that thread now that I joined. Bought my 18 F-150 lariat 5.0 in March 2020, with 19000 miles on it. A couple months after that just happened to be looking something up on google unrelated to the oil issue, google filled in the blank for my search with the oil consumption issues so I started to look into it. Then started keeping a close eye on oil after that, to find out it is using about 1qt/2500 miles. Took it to the dealer to start a consumption test, the first time they topped it off, and overfilled it to the MAX FILL not to the top fill line, I went back in to make sure the advisor put that in the notes so it wouldn’t be misread next visit, of course they didn’t and it came back that it’s using oil within range. I explained to them topping it off is not a true test, an oil change needs to be done to so you know the correct amount went in, they changed the oil the stick was at the top fill line line and I brought it back again after 2000 miles with the same consumption results. In between these 2 tests I discovered the TSB to flash the PCM and get the longer dipstick (which I still don’t understand putting a longer one in the top fills and the MAX’s are the same measurement. They did the flash and another oil change. It just went back with still consuming the same amount of oil, this time I started to notice the white smoke coming from the exhaust and have noticed the residued exhaust tip since I discovered these whole oil consumption issue. This last diagnosis came back a right side spark plugs oil soaked. Need new block and right side cylinder head. Before getting this 2018 I had a 2013 with 73000 miles on it with no issues, I think I’m mostly disappointed about Ford letting this happen and that I got rid of truck without issues anticipating ones may come up in the future with the 2013 to jump into a newer truck with engine issues, buying something because I wanted to not because I needed to. I’ve been going over the options to let them replace what they diagnosed or try to get them to buy it back. I don’t want to buy a brand new truck or look for something else right now but after reading about others getting a replacement and the same issues or more occurring I can only think with my luck I will be one the statistics with more issues. George, you did mention about spending some money for complaints but was that before you reached out to the BBB? I’m taking it to another dealership to see if they say the same or nothing or if there’s more. Main thing is, reaching out to the BBB was your last complaint step and then they got Ford to resolve within 18 days?