Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.9L Engine and 5.8L Engine in 95 F150s

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 07:29 AM
Default 4.9L Engine and 5.8L Engine in 95 F150s

Hi there I have a few question. I have a 1995 F150 XL with a 4.9L Engine that is a Standard. I was given a 1995/96 (reason I say that is it is an 08/95 technically making it a 96 in some cases) Ford F150 XLT with a 5.8L it is a Automatic. I am wanting to swap engines. Because for some reason the 4.9L cranks over won't start even after changing the ignition control and shooting gas into the throttle bodie. Out of ideas there. What I am wondering is Can it be done or Will I have to buy a new clutch and pressure plate because of 5.8L being bigger than the 4.9L and being a automatic and is there anything else I have to worry about when changing motors because of different sizes or one motor is standard and one is automatic and I am staying standard. Thank you.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:58 PM

There a few more things you can check to get the 4.9 to run right again that will be a lot less expensive in time and $$ if you want to try it.
Parts availability would most likely be the same since the years are similar.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:09 PM

That's a bad reason for an engine swap. As long as it is not seized, any engine can be made to run again.You need to do some further diagnosing because there is an excellent chance the 5.8 won't start either. Start with fuel pressure, you should have 30-45 psi. Check for spark. You need spark, fuel , air and compression to run. Should be easy enough to see what is missing. Personally, I would rather have the 4.9. It is a much more durable engine and you won't gain much with a V8 due to the added weight..

Last edited by raski; 10-07-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:13 AM

Well here is my puzzler. The 4.9 has spark, fuel and air. Replaced the Ignition Control Module. Fuel pump is working. It trys to start but will not run. Shot gas into the throttle bottle but still won't start. Checked even the stupid red reset button and fuses all are fine. Everyone says oh it jumped a tooth. But I don't believe it has because it isn't winging over. It sounds to me that it is trying to start just can't start. Any other ideas? Oh and the 5.8 does run. I did find out there is too much conversions so I am trying again to get the 4.9 started. Also it is a standard. Thank you all for your help. By the way Hank seeing that they are both similar what else can I swap to try? I put a picture of both engines just incase.

Last edited by Kelliann Brooks; 10-08-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:30 AM

Oh and the 4.9 is a xl where as the 5.8 is an xlt

Old 10-08-2019, 02:51 PM

You could do a compression test, and that would give you some idea of what could have happened if anything.

Check the intake for any blockage and the exhaust also You could have spark fuel and, close timing , but it will not start with either an exhaust or intake restriction.
How did you determine you have fuel ?
When did the 4.9 run last?
If you pour some of the fuel that comes from the tank of the 4.9, on a piece of concrete, will it ignite if you try to lite it with a match, CAREFULLY ?? It should, if it does not maybe it isn't all fuel.
Let us know what results you received and maybe we can pin down the problem.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:04 AM

Bump the timing ahead just a touch. Had a similar problem with a 4.9 several yrs ago. I had ran some carbon cleaner through it and after cleaning the timing was way late. I would also recommend starting fluid instead of gas when adding something to the intake. My truck needed to have the air cleaner and PCV attached to run correctly. Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:19 PM

I try not to recommend starting fluid because most folks tend to use too much and that can take the top off pistons or just destroy them. Found carb/choke cleaner closer to gasoline and does no damage.
What results did you get with the compression tests? Very important to know !

Old 10-24-2019, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by nytryder
Bump the timing ahead just a touch. Had a similar problem with a 4.9 several yrs ago. I had ran some carbon cleaner through it and after cleaning the timing was way late. I would also recommend starting fluid instead of gas when adding something to the intake. My truck needed to have the air cleaner and PCV attached to run correctly. Hope this helps.
Bad idea. If he cannot get it started, why mess with timing just to complicate the issue. Timing will not change by running carbon cleaner, no matter what. You need fuel, air, compression and spark to run. Time to stop messing around and check compression.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by raski
Bad idea. If he cannot get it started, why mess with timing just to complicate the issue. Timing will not change by running carbon cleaner, no matter what. You need fuel, air, compression and spark to run. Time to stop messing around and check compression.

I have experienced this personally with one of my past trucks. A 1 or 2* bump up in timing is not a complicated issue. It is free and may help. It's kind of hard to diagnose starting issues over the internet with such little information. Like how many miles since a tune up? When did it last run? Did it run fine when shut off last? Just trying to help. Anyway have a great day!

Quick Reply: 4.9L Engine and 5.8L Engine in 95 F150s