Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

88 f150 won't start

Old 01-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Default 88 f150 won't start

Hi there,
I have a 1988 f150 V6 2 wheel drive that doesn't want to start. It cranks but it won't start. I changed the fuel pump by the driver side, fuel filter and the oxygen sensor. I need help to get it to run. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:38 AM

Can you hear the fuel pump run when you first turn the key on? You should hear it run for about 2 seconds. If not check the fuses and the fuel pump relay that is located in the engine compartment. You should hear the relay click on when you turn on the key.
Do we have that much? It will turn off after 2 seconds .

Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 AM

Hi Hanky,
when I turn the key on, I don't hear the pump, but when I shake the relay the pump start to run the hall time, so I crunk it but still nothing. I have spark, when I spray the starting fluid starts but as soon that's gone the engine stop.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:33 PM

Without actually looking at the vehicle I can only suggest some things that might cause the problem.
For example;
If the fuel pump is worn and requires more than the usual amount of power, that will affect the fuel pump relay and ruin it too. The fuel pump is located in the fuel tank and the tank will need to be taken down to get to the pump assy(module).
The better way to do this is to test right at the fuel pump where it is plugged into a connector. I don't know what equipment you have to do any testing, so I cannot suggest what tests you should do.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:38 PM

I have a multimeter and a 12v tester, but I'm not sure what should be the reading for the fuel pump with the multimeter. Can you guide me on this? Thanks.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:37 PM

I did some test on the relay and I was sure it was bad, but this didn't solve the issue. I installed a new relay and what I notice is when I open the swith I can hear the click on the relay but the fuel pump doesn't turn on, not even for the 2 seconds. If I keep turning the switch on and off I hear the fuel pump turning on at sometimes.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:55 PM

I would like to help guide you with the testing,but if you type in on your computer,
"Testing in tank fuel pumps" they do a great job of explaining the procedure and even provide some detailed explanations . The films should answer most, if not all, your questions.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:03 AM

I did test the fuel pump and it' ok. But I notice that there's not enough voltage to the fuel pump. What can cause the short voltage?

Old 01-07-2018, 04:41 AM

When you first turn the key on power is sent to the EEC relay(with the brown plug) and the EEC relay then sends power to the fuel pump relay (Green plug)and the ECA (computer). The computer provides the ground for the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds . If no signal is received that the engine is running or cranking, the computer opens the ground to the fuel pump relay and no power is sent to the fuel pump. When the fuel pump relay is closed power is sent to the fuel pump. In that wire to the pump is an inertia switch that opens if something like an accident should happen. The inertia switch is usually located to the right of the accelerator pedal against the firewall. Just make sure it is pushed all the way down. If you separate the plug at the fuel tank do you have full voltage going to the pump now when you first turn the key on? Did you actually hear the fuel pump run?

Old 01-11-2018, 06:09 PM

I install 2 new relays (for the brown and green plug). When I open the switch I can hear the click from the relay but fuel pump doesn't start. There's no noise from the fuel pump. I have 5.8 volts to the pump. How many boys should be running to the pump? Also I bypass the relay and I gat the fuel pump to run, cranked it but nothing.😣

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 f150 won't start