Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

94 f-150 ac issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 08:28 PM
Default 94 f-150 ac issue

Hello Everyone,
This is an ongoing issue I've been having for a while. Looked at the other forums and couldn't find the answer I have been looking for. Situation is I start my truck and let it idle with the A/C on and within a few seconds running at idle boom, all my refrigerant starts spewing out. This isn't a leak either, when I have it at full blast driving I never have this issue, just at idle speed. The first time this issue happened I replaced the condenser, thinking it was clogged. Soon after, same thing happens again. Then, replace the hoses the next time, making sure to vacuum out and properly fill the system each time. New hoses, same issue. Finally just got to the point where I am now with a complete new compressor and accumulator. The other parts aren't even a year old yet. No matter how little refrigerant is in the system the same thing is happening so there's no way it can be over charged. Using auto zones R-134a as well, the one without the stop leak in it. Any suggestions on to where to look to start diagnosing this problem?

Old 06-13-2020, 09:03 AM

Not sure where you are with this.
Where is the refrigerant coming out?
When you have the gauges hooked up what are the readings?
Idle and 1500 RPM , set on MAX A/C . Also , what is the ambient temp (outside temp) ?
Could you be missing an "O" ring someplace?

Old 06-13-2020, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Not sure where you are with this.
Where is the refrigerant coming out?
When you have the gauges hooked up what are the readings?
Idle and 1500 RPM , set on MAX A/C . Also , what is the ambient temp (outside temp) ?
Could you be missing an "O" ring someplace?
Set on normal A/C but at full blast at idle speed about 1200 rpm. It is coming out right behind the connection to the compressor and I know that both of the O-rings are there. When I charged it the ambient temp was about 77 degrees so I matched the gauges with the chart for 80 degrees. It was about 180 psi on the high side but however was only 30 psi on the low side and couldn’t get the low side to go up without over loading the high side. This is something that only happens at idle speed. When I am driving it has never happened once leading me to believe that it can’t be an o ring or leak.

Last edited by Corbin; 06-13-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:49 PM

I believe your vehicle has viscous fan attached to the water pump. Is that working properly?

Reviewing the refrig cycle, the compressor pulls it from the evaporator ,low pressure gas, raises the pressure and sends the hot refrig gas to the condenser ,from there it goes to the rec/dryer /accumulator, then to the orifice tube and back to the evaporator.

30 psi is where you want the low side. The only time the low side should rise is when the compressor cycles off or when the AC is turned off and the pressures stabilize.
If it leaks at idle and not when AC is turned off, I don't have an answer for that.. Maybe someone will come up with an answer. We're missing something here.

Did anybody replace the water pump to your knowledge? Are we sure the fan blade is installed so it pulls air from the front of the radiator to the rear and back toward the engine?
From what you describe this problem has been present for a while now. How long have you owned this vehicle and was the problem present right from the time you got it?
Does the AC cool all the time like it should?
Are you really getting pure R134A refrig?

Old 06-13-2020, 05:22 PM

I’ve had it for about three years and just started in the past year. No water pump replacement to my knowledge. I will review everything but the first two years I’ve never had an issue. Maybe the new condenser is clogged. Maybe my gauges are reading wrong and need to try a different set. Is it possible a bad water pump could lead to this? I have no other signs leading towards that it is bad.
I believe your vehicle has viscous fan attached to the water pump. Is that working properly?

Reviewing the refrig cycle, the compressor pulls it from the evaporator ,low pressure gas, raises the pressure and sends the hot refrig gas to the condenser ,from there it goes to the rec/dryer /accumulator, then to the orifice tube and back to the evaporator.

30 psi is where you want the low side. The only time the low side should rise is when the compressor cycles off or when the AC is turned off and the pressures stabilize.
If it leaks at idle and not when AC is turned off, I don't have an answer for that.. Maybe someone will come up with an answer. We're missing something here.

Did anybody replace the water pump to your knowledge? Are we sure the fan blade is installed so it pulls air from the front of the radiator to the rear and back toward the engine?
From what you describe this problem has been present for a while now. How long have you owned this vehicle and was the problem present right from the time you got it?
Does the AC cool all the time like it should?
Are you really getting pure R134A refrig?

Old 06-13-2020, 06:17 PM

The only reason I inquired about the water pump was if the fan blade was installed backwards.
Regarding the R134A, there are some out there that have been known to be counterfeit and were a mix of anything, so just trying to cover all the bases.although if it worked fine before , the object is to determine what has changed.

So I understand correctly, the following have been replaced;
All hoses and lines
compressor
condenser
accumulator
orifice tube What did the removed one look like ,dirty, plugged ?
All "O" rings Viton, I hope
Did anybody check to verify the correct amount of refrigerant oil was in the compressor and required amounts of refrigerant oil were installed in the components when changed?

After evacuating the system pulling down a vacuum of 29 in Hg, for at least 30-45 minutes DID YOU ADD LIQUID REFRIGERANT TO THE SYSTEM THROUGH THE LOW SIDE ? At any time ?

Last edited by hanky; 06-13-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:31 PM

The only reason I inquired about the water pump was if the fan blade was installed backwards.
Regarding the R134A, there are some out there that have been known to be counterfeit and were a mix of anything, so just trying to cover all the bases.although if it worked fine before , the object is to determine what has changed.

So I understand correctly, the following have been replaced;
All hoses and lines
compressor
condenser
accumulator
orifice tube What did the removed one look like ,dirty, plugged ?
All "O" rings Viton, I hope
Did anybody check to verify the correct amount of refrigerant oil was in the compressor and required amounts of refrigerant oil were installed in the components when changed?

After evacuating the system pulling down a vacuum of 29 in Hg, for at least 30-45 minutes DID YOU ADD LIQUID REFRIGERANT TO THE SYSTEM THROUGH THE LOW SIDE ? At any time ?
Filled through low side yes. When the components were changed no oil was necessary, the compressor had a complete system recharge of oil in it. Maybe I am low on oil. Is there a way to check? The old hose was mainly dirty that is it.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:58 AM

So we are clear on a few things.
Whenever you change a component in an automotive AC syst , ie accumulator, it has to be drained of any refrigerant oil it contains and the same amount new and correct type needs to be added to the new one on installation/. The same goes for the compressor. For any place to tell you the compressor is charged and filled with the correct amount of refrigerant oil for the entire system could result in an overcharge or inadequate supply of refrigerant oil.

The other thing I wanted to verify was , when charging the system after you are done evacuating it, you add the refrigerant to the low side with the container UPRIGHT , so only gas goes into the low side.never allowing liquid refrigerant to get into the low side. Doing that can wreck the compressor since it can only compress gas and not liquid. Could that be what happened?

Old 06-14-2020, 10:48 AM

Looking at it now that could be what happened. Maybe shaking it up let some liquid refrigerant get in. I think I’m going to try a different brand of refrigerant and do this all over again carefully and let you know what happens when I recharge it this time.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:41 AM

To help get the refrigerant gas into the system a little quicker when charging, you might while holding the can UPRIGHT, place it in a pan of warm water to help raise the temp in the container. Just keep an eye on the low side gauge and don't let the gas pressure go much over approx. 50 lbs otherwise remove the can from the warm water and repeat until the container is empty and you will know that when you place the container in the warm water there is no longer an increase in the low side pressure. You only need to place the bottom of the container in the water. You do have your eye protection on right?

Don't know if any damage was done by possible moves earlier, but if it was , well, go from there.

Quick Reply: 94 f-150 ac issue