Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

94 F150 5.0 starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 12:23 AM

Sorry about my late response. Thank you for the additional information. That gives us another place to check on it. Still miss driving it. Running up miles on my Cherokee by not having the truck to use for some trips.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:31 PM

Well, here I am again. Both fuel pumps replaced, selector switch replaced, fuel filter replaced, fuel pressure regulator replaced, relay replaced, and I am still in the same position I was in. When cold, the truck starts and runs fine, can be driven; but, once it warms up and the engine shut off, it won't start. It gets 40 PSI at the Schrader valve, so that's good; but, the not starting is not. Any other ideas where to look for fuel problems, or should I start looking at the PCM or ECM? Or, should I rent a fuel pressure gauge again and recheck the reading now?

Old 11-27-2022, 10:40 AM

You could rent a fuel pressure gauge and do the test once more to provide piece of mind, if you choose.

Something I would suggest is , while you are at the store purchase a spray can of carb and choke cleaner.
Now when your vehicle won't start , spray a shot of carb and choke cleaner into the intake and try to start the engine. If it starts , there is a fuel supply problem . If it does not start, stop wasting your $$$ on the fuel system.
You now should check for spark at anyone of the spark plugs or wire coming out of the coil to the dist cap.
There is a good chance you might have no spark.
If you find that to be the case ,you can check the rest easily with a test light.
With the key on you should have power to the coil. Now connect the test light clamp to the battery positive post and when the engine is cranking you should get a blinking test light when you place the test light point at the other coil terminal. That would be the ground signal from the ECM to the fire the ign coil.
Do you get that result, yes/ no ?

Old 11-27-2022, 08:04 PM

I haven't tried the test light and coil yet. I'll post again when I get the results from testing. Thank you.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:43 PM

Here's where I'm at on my F150. Both fuel pumps, filter, selector switch, and pressure regulator replaced. When the engine is cold, it starts like it should. Once it gets to operating temperature, it runs fine and is drivable; however, when I shut the engine off, it won't start until it cools off completely. With the range of outdoor temps we've had here in East Texas, it makes no difference. It does the same thing. Any other suggestions?

Old 12-28-2022, 09:29 AM

Did you perform the tests suggested? What were the results?

Old 12-28-2022, 12:55 PM

Actually, my daughter and her boyfriend have been doing the work for me. I don't know if they actually did those tests or not; but, my daughter told me she checked the plug wires one by one, and they are within range on the resistance. Next time they come work on it, I'll make sure they actually do what you suggested.

Old 12-29-2022, 06:06 AM

Pulling the plug wires off the spark plug without the right tool can damage the wires internally usually right at the end that goes on to the plug.

Best to leave them alone.

Old 12-29-2022, 05:42 PM

I'll find out how she did it, and may have to buy new plug wires. Hope not; but, if so, I'll do it to get the truck like it should be. Thanks

Old 12-29-2022, 05:50 PM

Before spending the $$$ for a new set of wires , if they showed resistance ,they could be considered not broken.

An approx resistance reading in the area of 10,000 ohms per foot or less would be considered satisfactory.

Quick Reply: 94 F150 5.0 starting issues