Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'94 F150:NoJoy after midship fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Question '94 F150:NoJoy after midship fuel pump replacement

Problem: Not finding any fuel pressure at '94 F150 4.9L I6 Fuel Injection rack

Fuel pump in 17g midship steel tank failed years ago; continued with solely rear steel tank until last January failure. To begin restorations, chose to start with midship. Detached and removed/replaced pump & sender with new Motorcraft elements. Replacement was also required of pump electrical connector on F150-body harness; wires' color combinations researched and confirmed at USAF Academy auto hobbyshop. Wires were joined with compression butt connectors versus soldering; heat-shrink tubing in place for connections but not yet compressed...just in case.

All reconnections of fuel lines and electrical harness confirmed straight and secure before repositioning tank and reconnecting/securing fuel filling tube to tank. Fuel filter replaced at truck frame position. Loaded ~2 1/2 gal. new fuel to tank. Truck still elevated up front on work ramps w/rear wheels blocked.

With tank selector switch on FRONT, when ignition switch is moved to first stop, I can hear the fuel pump spin up for just short of 2 sec. When ig. switch is fully engaged, starter comes up but engine does not respond with any cylinders igniting. Next, using fuel-pressure guage connected to test port at rt.-rear of F.I. rack, I find no residual fuel pressure following either initial pump spin-up or following somewhat extended attempt at starting engine.

Should I add considerably more fuel, so midship pump is more "submerged," and to counteract present sloped stance on work ramps, for initial operation?

Is there some other component between midship pump and F.I. rack that perhaps has died from old age and needs testing/replacement?

Thanks in advance for advice and counsel.
VR, CartersvilleCO

Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM

I believe you have a good point adding fuel. If the addition of more fuel doesn't eliminate the problem, my next question is where did you obtain the Motorcraft pump from a dealership or on line?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the note, Hanky. I ordered the pump online from AutoRock; all-original Motorcraft packaging intact, with multiple accessory parts (including new gasket) and tech note. Price for pump/bracket from local Ford dealer is now just short of $500 vs. ~$270 from AutoRock.
Just my thoughts...BRC

Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 PM

OK The reason I asked that question is there are different pumps that operate differently according to model. I am wondering if you could cross check the pump you purchased with the recommended one by the Ford dealer parts dept. Many times a vin # was required to get the right one.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 AM

The Motorcraft pump/bracket assembly I acquired from AutoRock is the specific unit listed in the Ford dealer's parts catalog in their shop...only difference was the asking price. And all is now good with fuel pressure at the F.I. rail, just needed another gallon or so in the tank. And it now seems I'll be learning how to detach and clean the F.I. jets and replace the O-rings; even with fuel pressure good in the rail, nothing is getting into the cylinders to make them fire. I'm thinking that sitting idle for 6 months with fuel sitting in the jets has simply gummed things up. Just my thoughts.