Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 rust opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Default 98 rust opinion

Hey guys,

I have a 1998 F150 with the 3 door ext cab. I have the common ford rust problem with rust along the outside and inside of the extended cab door as well as on the other-side on the outside of the ext cab. Also on the bottom outside of the bed as well as the inside bottoms of either door. I have already sprayed the inside bottoms of the doors with the permatex undercoating stuff in an attempt to slow/stop it. My question is, I am thinking about spraying the bottom 4 inches or so on either side of the truck to coat the exterior rust as it is not REALLY bad an figured I would try to save it before it gets that way. It is old and i know it wont look the greatest but figured it would look better then spotty noticeable rust and help to slow it as she runs like a champ! Would this help, is it a good idea? Is there another product I should be doing it with? Or do I leave it the way it is? Any comments you give are greatly appreciated, you will not hurt my feelings, I am not going to spend an arm and a leg trying to take care of this issue with it being a 14 year old truck! Thanks

Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 PM

consider this: Strong Arms Spray

StrongArm Penetrating Oil Rust Remover Corrosion Prevention Blocker Chrome Cleaner Weatherproofer Conditioning Fluid

I have used that stuff recently. So I can't tell how it works long term. It appears that it can stop rust from spreading in particular if it is painted over with an oil based enamel.

I found this interesting as well, but I have no experience with it: MasterSeriesCT Coating Line Rust Prevention - MasterSeriesCT

Good luck