Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Light Staying On

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 02:43 AM
Default ABS Light Staying On

99 Ford F-150 4.2 V6 5 Speed

The ABS light stays on, I have checked all the fuses and pulled the negative battery terminal off to reset the computer but the light comes right back on. Anyone have any idea what would be causing this problem.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:01 AM
Default RE: ABS Light Staying On

I have read on here in some other topics and it sounds like you got a code toretreive perhaps.The lightcould be on because of low fluid level it could be a wheel sensor is malfunctioning, could be air in the abs system. Point is there is alot of could be's to this question you will need to read up on how to retreive ABS codes from the truck. if you are not experienced in ABS systems in general id take it to a shop and have them try and retreive any stored codes if there is a code it may point you to which sensor is bad or where to start looking. Also do the brakes feel funny at all? any excessive pedal or spunginess? just curious if there were any symptoms leading up to the light coming on.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:24 AM

Normal feel and braking, The light just come on about a week ago. Do you know if Autozone, Advance lends tools for the codes

Old 04-30-2007, 05:18 AM

The wheel sensors are pulsed from a slug wheel at each wheel. It will look like a gear, with teeth on it. These teeth trigger the sensor. If for some reason the sensor can not detect the teeth then the computer turns on the ABS light to let you know there is a problem. With metalic brake pads you get a lot of metalic dust around the wheels, mostly on the front. I would start by checking out the front slug wheels behind your brake rotors to see if they are packed with brake dust. This will prevent the sensor from detecting pulses from the teeth on the slug wheel. I hope this helps. Good luck in finding your problem.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 AM

Check ABS speed sensor in differential. I had same problem and had to replace (heard this was common on Fords).

Then the light came on recently so I replaced sensor again and lite is still on... now I'm told my ABS pump is bad. (not happy with Fords)