Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back-up light issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Question Back-up light issue

I recently installed a new bumper and Anzo lights to the rear of my F-150 Raptor. I wired the hot in to my backup light on the driver's side. Each light had a ground wire with a metal loop to secure to metal. I grounded each light, individually. I used a crimping connection with shrink shield built on it.

Here's the trick or problem:

When I turn the truck to the "on" position, WITHOUT starting the truck, then shift the transmission into reverse, the lights all work correctly.

When I turn the TRUCK on, shift the transmission into reverse, the lights will turn on, but immediately turn off. None of the back lights will work. Consequently, every time I shift in to reverse, the lights will NOT even come on -even for a split second. But, turn the truck off, then to the "on" position, without starting the truck, shift the transmission into reverse, the lights WILL work. what the hack???!!!

I figured, once the lights went out, I had blown a fuse. I checked the fuse. It's fine! And, like I said, in the "on" position, the lights work. Just not when the truck in running.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Brian

Old 02-23-2015, 12:11 PM

I can't say for sure if this is the problem with your vehicle, but Fords do not "like" add ons to their electrical systems. They have many different modules that monitor and control various systems and do not respond well to additions. For example, there is a body control module, front lighting control module, rear lighting control module, transmission control module , powertrain control module , etc. and they all share the network and any changes are noted and operation is affected. We can't do as we did in the past and just add anything we want to anymore ! You may want to check with the lighting manufacturer for the ones you purchased and make sure they can be installed on your particular vehicle without special circuitry.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:56 PM

Thanks, Hanky.

So, I stopped in to my local Ford dealer. The tech informed me the same thing Hanky said and advised I needed to install a relay switch. I, then, stopped in a shop which installs parts and works on off-road vehicles. They advised, when installing the relay, I run a wire to the battery.

Simply:
I ran a power wire to the battery, from the tail light area (where I installed the relay switch). I attached adapters to the wires so I could connect to the relay switch. Connected everything (as noted in a Youtube video I watched). Done.

The install of the relay switch and adapters to the wires took a long time, but it's very easy.

I hope anyone researching this will have the answers they need.

-Brian

Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 AM

Brian,
Just a reminder, hope you placed a fuse in the line as close to the battery as possible to prevent any unfortunate rub throughs of the wire to the rear of the vehicle. Good practice always places a safety in the line that is hot all the time right from the battery.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:30 PM

Hanky,

Great tip. I did not. But, the wire that came with the lights had one. I'll splice that puppy in. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

-Brian