Bleeding Lash Adjusters - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Old 09-13-2017, 06:35 PM

Default Bleeding Lash Adjusters

I just purchased a new set of roller followers and lash adjusters for my 2005 5.4 3 valve after replacing the timing components. I Installed the new lash adjusters (hydraulic lifters) before reinstalling the cam shafts and getting the timing set. They all went in smoothly except for one but a little emory cloth seems to have removed the bur that was caussing it to stick halfway into the socket. I pumped up the new lash adjusters while they were submerged in oil to get all the air out of them but then read that it was a bad idea to pressurize the adjusters before putting the roller followers (rocker arms) back in because it can cause damage to the valve stems as you rotate the engine to install the roller followers. Is this true? If so, what is a good way to depressurize the lash adjusters? This is my first rodeo doing this and would hate to mess things up when the finish line is in sight. I put "hydraulic lifters" and "rocker arms" in parenthesis because they seem to be used interchangably. I see lots of videos online about changing out the timing parts but there doesnt seem to be much there about installing lash adjusters. I would appreciate any guidance anyone could provide. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:37 PM

Quick clarification...I meant lash adjusters and lifters seem to be used interchangably as do rocker arms and roller followers.