Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

broken water pump bolt 96 f150

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Default broken water pump bolt 96 f150

I have a 96 F150 with the 5.0. One of the water pump bolts is broke off way up in the block. I dont know why this particular bolt went so far into the block. No chance of getting the broke piece out and Im not sure if the hole is threaded all the way or just at the end deep in the block. Thinking about tapping the hole at the front of the block just enought to get a short bolt in to tighten up the water pump to stop the leak. Anybody had this issue and what did you do to fix it?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:00 PM

Been there. Your best bet is to carefully drill out the broken bolt. By that I mean drill a hole about one inch deep into the broken bolt ,large enough to use an EZ out. and still not mess up the threads in the block . Soak it good with penetrating oil and use patience.
I have been successful some of the times with a left handed drill bit in a battery operated drill. If it is the bolt I'm thinking of it's a long one about 5/16 diameter and about 3-4 inches long with a threaded post on the end. Is this the one? Also you had to remove the water pump entirely to do this right.
If you can use a pretty small drill bit to all the way through the broken end of the bolt and that will allow you to get the penetrating oil on the other side of the broken part. Just be careful and stop when you get through the end of the bolt or you could drill into the block which you don't want to do.

Last edited by hanky; 10-29-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 PM

Yes this bolt is about a 5/16 but if I remember correctly it is longer than 3 or 4 inches. Seems like it has a fixed nut on it about halfway. I replaced the water pump a year ago and thats when it broke. Had a slow water leak since then but just never took time to fix it cause I didn't drive it often. Now my son drives it and I want to fix it.
Seems like this bolt goes through the pump but then it also extends out further toward the front and something else mounts on it. Like I said, cant exactly remember but I do know its on the rh side when facing the pump. It was corroded from the coolant and I knew better than to try to use it but I did anyway. When i tried to tighten it was when it broke.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:16 AM

It seems we're on the same bolt. A common problem. Just get the replacement bolt from Ford, and pick your time and procedure. You might also pick up a new water pump gasket at the same time. Have used RTV silicone on the engine side of the gasket so the next time when ever that was , the gasket would peel right off the engine and stick on the water pump. Also you can put the silicone on the bolt threads to seal and prevent the corrosion for next time. Not really a bad job if you take your time.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM

Appreciate the help. I will try to drill it out. Was going to start on it today and went out and it wouldnt start. Fuel pump is dead so guess I will work on that end first. Thanks