Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine swap vs head repair?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Default engine swap vs head repair?

I have a 2002 F150 with 165xxx miles on it and it needs new head gaskets. I am wondering if replaceing the engine with a newer 5.4 would be a better option, if the new ones even fit that is. Any info would be helpful.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 PM

What engine do you have in there presently?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM

5.4 V8 in it right now.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:01 PM

I don't the answer to your question, but in my opinion you know the condition of your vehicle and how it was maintained which would suggest that you get estimates for each procedure and then determine which is the best move for the money.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:56 PM

That rust bucket, your better putting in either a NEW ENGINE or USED ENGINE depending how the rest of the truck looks.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:58 AM

First of all, it is not a rust bucket, the rest of the truck is in great shape. It's just the engine that needs work. And secondly, I was looking for actual helpful information not some opinion that I was already aware of, but thanks.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 AM

Could you fill us in on just what kind of engine work has been done to the engine so far.
Those 5.4s have their share of troubles and maybe some of them have already been addressed in the time you have had it. What was the reason it needs head gaskets? Also depending on what has been done to the engine already may justify replacing the head gaskets only. What do you think?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Did it get hot or?

Head gaskets leaking external?

165k isn't horrible mileage, and like Hanky mentioned, may depend on whats already been done and the overall plan for the truck. If it was a good runner, no leaks, noise etc. before the failure, then a HG/valve job might be the better low cost option. Or, if a questionable engine, a reman. long block replacement would be a better bet..

I've installed quite a few used engines in a wide range of models for customers, more so as a side job. I rarely would take the chance given the labor costs (more so on late models given the longer hours) on an engine unless I could whiteness it running in the donor vehicle and/or pull it myself which usually included a 'real time' comp test prior. Easy enough for someone or dismantler to oil up the cylinders to spike the less than desirable compression, and without a good look/listen running,, hard to know for sure if there's any lifter/ cam chain noises, or even leaks. Some late or low mileage rigs that were body totaled as donors, a comp may be all that was needed.. Point being, if the truck/car was junked or parted,, and the engine removed, what was the cause of the parting? Careful and cautious if you consider used.. Paying labor costs twice going used should there be a problem, can make a good deal go bad, maybe more than a quality replacement..

Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 PM

Listen your not going to do a head gasket repair with that mileage. I have done it plenty of times and they always come back asking for an engine after a head gasket attempt. Especially if some other non qualified work was performed. Please let us know what happened.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 AM

I haven't done anything to the engine other than routine maintenace, the spark plugs have been replaced twice in the last 3 years because one of them ejected itself, twice. It is my daily driver and would like to keep it a while longer just not sure which way to go to make that happen. I don't want to waste the $4-5 grand for new heads if the same thing is going to happen. I've seen rebuilt engines on the internets for about half that and I'm thinking that may be the way to go. I don't know if the newer 5.4L engines will bolt up to my tranny or not.

Quick Reply: engine swap vs head repair?