Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Harmonic Balancer Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Default Harmonic Balancer Troubles

I'm no mechanic but doing the best to be my own. I got the truck torn down and trying to get that center bolt off. I used a impact gun with my 120 psi compressor. The bolt won't budge. I want to pound on it and use a 20 inch pipe wrench to resist the pounding. Is this a good way to conquer the bolt?
Does anyone know any tricks to the trade.

I'm unemployed and really trying to save $ in these economic times and false Obama hopes..

Any replies would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jason

Last edited by 1994 F-150 5.0 2wd; 05-09-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 05-10-2009, 07:30 AM

stupid question but are you turning it the right way, righty tighty and lefty loosey, and I'm not sure about your truck but some crank bolts are RH thread which means you have to go righty loosey, hope this helps.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Default Thanks For Reply Clay

I do not know either to which is the correct way to turn the bolt but I have tried turning it both ways and still having no luck. I appreciate your advice..

Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 PM

call an autoparts store and ask them to find out what kind of thread the bolt has and if there is anything special you need to do, the store should be able to tell some information that might help you out. You may need to contact more than one parts store. I usually buy a manuel for the make and model of what I am working on but you are trying to go on the cheap so this may be your only choice. Good luck.

Last edited by clayton7453; 05-11-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: need to add more
Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Thumbs up Helpful Advice ...Thanks Clay

I called the parts store and the correct turn is lefty loosey. I agree a good Chiltons like manual for any vehicle you own is not a bad idea to have around. I never thought I would see a day to attempt what I'm doing but these are serious times and it is amazing what a non mechanically inclined person can do if he puts his mind to it. I will share my resolve for others in this predicament. This is in hopes to helping someone else that does not know where to begin.

My method is not a claimed best method obviously and only how I resolved my problem. I elevated the truck evenly about 8 inches higher using jack stands. You could just as easily only elevate the front if you are only replacing your harmonic balancer but I'm working on this problem and other minor issues plus I just like alot of freedom of movement. This also gave me room I needed using a 20" large pipe wrench and a short hollow pipe to extend the handle under the truck.

I got a good bite on the old harmonic balancer with the pipe wrench. I then took the hollow pipe and extended the handle of the pipe wrench taking the handle to my concrete garage floor at an angle locking the harmonic balancer from being able to move.

I then went on top under the hood and used a socket with a fairly large ratchett and another short pipe for leverage and turned the center bolt off fairly easy. Even after getting the center bolt off it was impossible to pull the old harmonic balancer from the shaft. I rented a claw like tool from autozone that easily pulled the old harmonic balancer from the shaft. The rest should now be easy.

Since I have my radiator off I also flushed it good with plenty of water. There sure was allot of rust and gunk but it seemed to have all came out. Since I discovered the drain plug to the radiator through this I will flush it again after I assemble it back on the truck and start the engine. I then will refill radiator entirely with clean coolant. This old truck has 280,000 miles in case that would interest anyone. She runs very well and I bought it from the original owner. Its a longbed and I could not replace it. I like not having vehicle payments.

Thanks again Clay and I do hope someone will get a little knowledge from this.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:41 PM

glad to be of some help, I work on forklifts for a living but used to do automotive work. I have found it easy to put you ratchet on the bolt and make sure the ratchet is in the loosen position and put it up against the frame were it will hold it and spin the engine over with the starter but I do not suggest this to the novice you can really mess things up if not done properly, glad that you were able to find a way to resolve your issue. The vehicle you have sounds like a fun one, but I like a fixer upper. I have a 85 F150 that I am currently working on and I love it.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Default Harmonic Balancer Bolt Removal

I have never seen any left hand bolts attaching a balancer. Use a breaker bar and socket to rotate the engine where the bar hits the frame on the drivers side. Then stay clear and hit the starter momentarily to break the bolt loose. There is unreal leverage provided by the starter motor. Retightening is done with an air impact - usually 250 ft lbs or higher.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Default Thanks trejvet

I do appreciate your response and trying to help. I got it all back together now and she runs beautiful. I'm proud of myself to have saved a much needed hunk of $$$...

Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 AM

Good work.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Default Harmonic Balancer Troubles

So I was installing my new underdrive pullys last night and noticed some oil probably about a tablespoon dripping out of the hole where my harmonic balancer bolts in. Anybody else ever seen this? Hopefully its normal.