Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Default I need some advice

I have an '88 F-150 XLT Lariat edition. It has the 351 Windsor engine, and I'm in the process of sanding out the minimal rust it has. I am trying to decide if I should go with the original TWO-TONE gray with the Ford factory red pinstripe, or if I should go a different way with it and do a completely different color. I want to get the most money for it when I sell it next summer. What do you reccomend I do to get the most for it when I sell it. Mind you it currently has only 62,000 original miles. and I do not plan on putting to many miles on it in the next year (the price of gas). But thank you in advance for the advice on what I should do regarding the paint.
Thanks,
Jake

Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

My .02..

If a completely different color/scheme,, unless you paint the jambs, under hood, inside the bed, back of cab and so on (?) I think it hurts the resale value. A lot more work, but anytime I see a truck thats a repaint and not done 'complete' makes me wonder about whats being covered, and with the doors open ect. always a reminder of the factory/OEM change. Jambing/complete not only is more work, but given the cost of paints today (single stage, two stage, tri coats ect) is a step that some don't do. Many of that era truck had paint adhesion issue and were repainted anyway and if done complete in whatever color or stage, look just fine. But if a similar color is used and not jambed, not as much work and/or an eye catcher. The color seperation tape used between the upper/lower colors can be pricey. I repainted my 93 F150 (white upper/charcoal lower) and found a 3M tape similar to the OEM. OEM was not an option on the price.

Some buyers may not care on paint colors or even if OEM color matched, as long as it looks nice at the curb, or maybe a truck purchased for work where it 'presents well' and will be used and/or abused. If the truck will just be a 'recoat' and not completely straightened out, then the color choice probably isnt as important. Colors that compliment the interior are always a good choice as well.

My opinoins would probably depend on the overall condition of the truck as it is now,, and who I thought the potential buyers would be. Any improvement on peeling, rusted, dented, finishes/body certainly will help in a possible future sale..

Last edited by Hayapower; 06-05-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:22 AM

I'll put my 2cents in as well. As noted above, if you aren't going to do it right, ie door jambs, back of cab, etc., changing color will destroy the resale value. If you are going to do it right, you will never recover the additional cost of doing it right. Unless you are going to spray it yourself, and really plan on taking it apart to paint where you can't see, stick with the factory colors.