Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Need some advice..03 F250 6.0 L

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Default Need some advice..03 F250 6.0 L

Hello.

I am new here and need some advice. I have been looking at an 03 Ford F250 6.0 L diesel. I have done a search on this forum as well as on the net and have seen some bad press on considerable problems with the new 6.0 L entry motor in 2003. I am told by the Ford Dealer the the truck was a lease return and has supp,lied me with all the history of the vehicle and has given me the original owners name to contact. It appears from the history there were problems with the motor over the first year or so that Ford has serviced

My question is, for the owners that still have this 03/04 6.0L are you still having problems with the truck despite Ford's attempts to remedy the problems through service ?

Would you advise me to steer clear of these years and move to a newer or older model ?

Thanks in advance,

Old 11-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need some advice..03 F250 6.0 L

First....

Whats the build date of the 03 your looking at? Data tag in the door jamb, and/or on the left valve cover for engine build date..

Early 03's did have more than their share of issues.. Many of the problems that the early 6.0's had/have have fixes for now.. Later build 03's had the improved C95 injectors and some other changes/improvements.. Rear main leaks seem to plague a lot of 6.0's more so on the early builds, but still are occuring to date.. As well as other minor leaks.. Seems that with all the improvemnts that have been made to 6.0 it's still pretty temperamental.. I've owned both a 'early' 03, and my current 05.. The 03 had 2 rear mains replaced (hanging drip), starter at 2K, 'popped' radiator hose clamps, sweating hydro booster, and a 'horrible turbo moan/drone that was eventually corrected for the most part.. BUT, was a great running truck, and these issues may not have even bothered someone 'less' picky than myself

My 05 lost a side carrier bearing in the rear diff at 2K, and the trans was built around the same time (not the recall/snap ring rev planet issue) and 'developed the turbo drone at about 20K but not as bad as the 03.. The new pedastal/A brace was a fix for the vib.. It has been a GREAT truck other than the issues noted.. Zero running problems/leaks..

You'll find alot of owners with issues, and some with few or none..

I think when buying or concidering a 6.0 of any vintage, the best thing you can do is have the Oasis Report run for repair history, and if you 'can' contact the previous owner would be even better insurance..

The only remaining 'annoyance' that my 05 has, is the trans 'clunk' between the 2-3 upshift that Ford has now deemed 'normal for the 5R110.. Both the 03 and the 05 have/had this clunk, and the 03 had the 2-3MPH roll away clunk.. Both of these sensations will get me an occasional 'Whats was that!! Hard to justify in a truck that costs close to 40K...

We have a fleet of 6.0's ranging from 03-07 and for the most part have been trouble free.. One was a buy back and replaced, couple of turbo's, couple of trans (auto's but ALL were early failures and are a concern for this reason), and of course the personal issues I had with my own..

If you read enough, you'll hear of headgasket problems, turbo's, leaks, wiring problems, and so on, but you usually hear the most out of people that are looking for help, rather than the more trouble free owners.. I wouldn't have a problem with another 6.0, but look it over VERY close, get all the info. as to services done, type of use the truck has been subjected to and then make an informed decision..

The main reason I traded my 03 off, was the trans issue, and decided I wanted a crew cab instead of a super cab.. Otherwise I'd still be driven'r!! The 05 has 32K and hasn't missed a beat, and is an absolute pleasure to drive.. As was the 03 (once the drone was eliminated

Old 11-20-2006, 10:41 PM

Hayapower, I appreciate the insight and your expertise. I will look into all of those things and maybe get back to you.

Thanks again...

Old 12-13-2006, 12:23 AM

i have the same truck u are thinking about only it ia a f350. bought it new and have 33500 miles on it and have not had a problem with it. this is a great truck with plenty of power i tow a 40 ft. rv and gross out at 20,000 lbs. and i never have to slow down unless i want to. keep the cruise control set a 70 to 75 each trip. some people have had some problems but all i have talked to on the road think the truck is great. vern