Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I still have it '92 F150

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Cool I still have it '92 F150

Hey y'all,
I still have it a 1992 ford f150 and almost got it fixed. just a little help would be greatly appreciated 'cause it really wants to start and when it does it won't gain any rpm's . Here's what happened - I got in it one morning and started it up to warm it up for a few mins so that I could leave for work but
when I put in reverse it caughed and died instantly. When I tried to restart it
it wouldn't do it no backfireing no nothing. Just wouldn't start. I started thinkin it may have jumped time so I put a new timing chain in it and my problems still persist. No matter what I try it just won't start. Now when I try to start it it will but won't gain any rpm's so I can't time it with a light.
Thank y'all kindly
Floyd

Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 PM

Well, it seems we have to start from scratch. A fast question, when you can get the timing mark for TDC on the crank pulley lined up with the pointer does the rotor point to the #1 cylinder spark plug wire? You will need to remove the # 1 plug to be sure the piston is coming up on the compression stroke. This will confirm the pulley has not spun and the dist pin is not sheared. Let us know if all this is on the money.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 AM

it all lines up like it is supposed to rotor is on #1 on dist. # 1 piston is on compression stroke it runs but very rough and won't gain any rpm's throttle has to be slightly open to run at all

Old 03-17-2012, 12:04 PM

Well, what a problem. You sound like you have (at least) fuel and spark; but now, you need it to be at the proper levels. Check the fuel pressure (off and running, should be betwixt 30-45 psi, running or not). Scan for codes; any or none will be a clue. Check for the ever present, strong, blue spark.
After all that checks out (and I have a feeling it will), then start with the powertrain problems these have. Tap the IAC with a hammer (lightly), and see if the idle comes back. If so, take it off and clean it and the throttle body. This was a common problem, and these engine when well worn would soak the air filter/box with oil from blowby and muck up the air passages. Check for huge vacuum leaks, as the hoses that connect to the vac. tree would soak with oil and fall off. Possibly even try plugging the vacuum lines (even the brake booster) and see if it helps.
One other thing to check. If it's an automatic, then check the oil level; the TCC would apply when the oil level became low on these trannys and stall the engine when shifted into gear (rare, but I've seen it a few times).
Please let us know.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM

I'm just trying to get the darn thing to run long enough to check the level in tranny. Nothing I do seems to work and, I'm getting pretty mad at it so what can I do now?
just read the other thread and you'll know where I am in this so called fix. I still think that if I could I would old school the the engine and wouldn't have so much junk to go wrong.