Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tie-rod questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Default tie-rod questions

I have a 92' F150 4X4 and lateley I have been hearing a thunking sound from the front of the pickup when driving. I checked wheel bearings and ball joints by raising the front wheels and trying to move them, all seems fine. I checked the tie-rod ends for looseness and that is fine. Today I raised only one of the front wheels again and moved it and the tie-rod and drag link kindof twisted over when I moved the tire in and out. It looks like the tie-rod is pushing and pulling the drag link over because there is a slight curve in the drag link, is the curve in the drag link normal? Could this be causing the thunking sound up front, or should I even be worried about this??

Thanks
mexiburger

Old 08-04-2006, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: tie-rod questions

Is your 'thunk' more road suface sensitive?? If the Radius Arm bushing are worn, they can fail and cut through the bushing/s and wear on the mounting brackets inner ID..Can create a pretty annoying heavy clunk usually felt over bumps, ruts, and wrinkles in the road.. The tie rod/links twisting 'some' over a full range of steering isn't that unusual, but the joints can wear and work 'in and out' as it twists.. Check them with the weight of the truck on the ground, against a full range of motion, and short back and forth motion.. Usually with normal link/joint wear, it may cause 'some' steering loosness, or wander if more severe.. If you already checked all the joints, and shock bushings, then my next thought would be the radius bushings.. A "Thunk" sounds more metalic...

.......................HP......................

Old 08-06-2006, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info
The sound is road surface sensitive, but I hear it more over small bumps and less over large bumps. The radius arm bushings don't look too bad and the rod ends aren't loose at all. when I lifted the drivers side wheel up and moved it in and out the tie rod pushed over the drag link where it has a slight curve in it. it only took about an inch of movement at the tire to make it do this.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:06 PM

If there is any play in the tie rods or drag link these part's must be replaced!! As far as the radius busshings you wont be able to tell by looking at the outside of them. You will have to get a long bar and try to move them up and down to check for play.Mabey even a jack under the radius arm to check for play.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:54 AM

Nope the rod ends have no play but the tie rod pushes the drag link over as it pivots on the passenger side rod end and the pitman arm end because of the curve in the drag link. Should there be a curve in the drag link???
as for the radius arm bushings, thats good to know and I will check that soon.

thanks
mexiburger

Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 AM

Im not shure about the F150.But most do.