Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble after timing job

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 03:10 AM
Default Trouble after timing job

2007 F150 5.4 3v

Did compete timing job. My issue is constant hissing noise coming from passenger side and lack of acceleration/barely goes 10mph. Died when slowed down and turned. I will say that before this issue, I messed up the timing by aligning both sprockets to the L arrow when aligning the timing. I know this was stupid but in my defense I didn’t see the R on them and I thought the L was just an arrow and not an L. It was so hard to start the truck and when it did start was so rough because the timing was completely back ***, during the starting and driving around the block the timing jumped several times and several teeth as I found out when taking it apart again. I knew when it was having tough time starting something was wrong but I was hoping it would resolve once running and driving a bit. After it didn’t I knew it had to be taken apart and I figured out what was wrong. I drove it around the block with bad timing, on the way back it sounded like a gurgle and swoosh sound and then died, almost like the exhaust manifold gasket blew out or something blew out of somewhere. I took everything apart and re did the timing and it is spot on now. But now I have this acceleration problem and most likely the exhaust manifold as I can feel constant air shooting out of the gasket area on passenger side. Can the exhaust gasket being blown out cause me not to be able to accelerate? It just doesn’t sound right, I would think I would be able to drive but would have a hissing sound, so I’m not sure if the hissing is just that or if it’s something else. I did read about 4wd and it possibly being a vacuum line dealing with the 4wd, but I went through all the gears, went 4 hi I, 4 low, and back to 2wd, and the noise was the same. Sometimes when I rev it in park it sounds like metal clanking around but not with the timing components, more of an external. This was my first timing job thus the f up the first time, which will never happen again. I am going to reluctantly do the exhaust manifold and gasket, but I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction with acceleration problem, and when trying to accelerate the loss of rpm. I’m going to try and attach a video with it in the garage and the way it sounds. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/935732723?share=copy

https://vimeo.com/935733048?share=copy

Old 04-27-2024, 03:43 PM

Is it possible you went through all this work when it was not the cause of the original problem?

What was the original problem?

Old 04-27-2024, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Is it possible you went through all this work when it was not the cause of the original problem?

What was the original problem?

it was definitely the problem, once I got the timing cover off, the timing chain wore away a good chunk of the timing cover. The tensioner was shot. I went ahead and did complete timing chain, tensioners, sprockets, vvt, and oil pump, and water pump. The original issue was that when it was stopped and idling, ran rough. When driving and accelerating it drove great. It was only at stopped and idling that you could hear the chain slapping and running rough.

Old 04-27-2024, 06:13 PM

Timing chain rarely needs to be serviced, only trouble component is the timing chain guides and you would be hearing from rattling noise to knocking noise. When it was just a little rattling noise, you can just ignore it continue to drive it for years and that has nothing to do with rough idling and acceleration. Not sure why you begun the timing job in the first place when it was just a rough idling.
Your truck might have more than one problems, let's put the "timing" stuffs aside, what is the problem now? You have just rough idling or lack of power during driving or accelerating problem like the truck doesn't accelerate fast enough when the gas pedal is depressed? Or you mean it is sputtering and shaking during driving when the gas pedal is depressed? Intermittently? The engine ever stalled on that? and it started right up?

Old 04-27-2024, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by heiko
Timing chain rarely needs to be serviced, only trouble component is the timing chain guides and you would be hearing from rattling noise to knocking noise. When it was just a little rattling noise, you can just ignore it continue to drive it for years and that has nothing to do with rough idling and acceleration. Not sure why you begun the timing job in the first place when it was just a rough idling.
Your truck might have more than one problems, let's put the "timing" stuffs aside, what is the problem now? You have just rough idling or lack of power during driving or accelerating problem like the truck doesn't accelerate fast enough when the gas pedal is depressed? Or you mean it is sputtering and shaking during driving when the gas pedal is depressed? Intermittently? The engine ever stalled on that? and it started right up?
appreciate the comments but they are not helping with current situation. As I stated, it had bad tensioners and the chain literally chewed into the timing cover. The job needed to be done and since I was there doing that I did the whole job so I wouldn’t have to go into it later on. The truck ran and drove fine before doing the timing job, and whatever happened to cause this issue came from me driving it with completely wrong timing before fixing it the second time. After watching and researching I think it might be a vacuum line behind the motor, or possibly clogged catalytic converter which as soon as I get a chance I will be checking them both. I figured I would post asking about the noises and current issues as I’m sure I’m not the first person this has happened to.

If those 2 things don’t resolve the issue I will post a video of me driving it and can see exactly what it does.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:42 AM
Default Timing Job

Start with a compression test, sounds like you bent some valves.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:57 AM

amesgang gave you some good advice, lets hope you don't need to remove the heads.