Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Using Ford F150 to charge RV trailer battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:09 PM
Default Using Ford F150 to charge RV trailer battery

I have a 2016 Ford F150 2.7L V6 truck with a tow package (not the heavy duty tow package but more than the basic plug (7 pin?) and with a built-in brake controller.) Is it safe and/or possible to use the truck as a temporary "generator" to charge what will be 2 x 6V golf cart batteries in my travel trailer? This is a new travel trailer with a built-in converter and 30 amp connector cable. My hope would be to avoid getting a standalone generator/inverter unless I have to. I plan to install and use solar, but I'd like to know whether if, in a pinch, I could top off or bring the batteries up to charge if I run them down a bit. I only have 12V and propane appliances, monitors and LED lights in the trailer, plus a slide.

If it is possible, what is the easiest way to go about it?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:02 AM

Charging systems on the newer vehicles are not as easy to do what we were able to do with earlier vehicles. There are a few things that get into the picture where charging is concerned among which are , Battery state of health, load presently on the system, temp, vehicle speed engine RPM etc. On top of that there are current measuring devices on some of the battery cables whose info is based on what info the system is receiving determines the rate of charge. For example; if the system senses that max charge rate is not required on the battery presently on the vehicle it just will not charge any other battery tied into the system. And the reverse can also happen where if it thinks there is a large load and max charging is needed it can destroy the battery presently in the system by overcharging it. Might be a good idea to have a talk with the service dept of your Ford dealership.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Depends..

Your 7 way trailer connector should have a ‘Trailer Tow Battery Charge’ capability. If you look at the socket cover it should be listed as #5 in pin orientation. It is for a trailer tow battery , break away battery etc. charging link, ‘but’ it isn’t high amperage load capable. Maybe 20amp? and it gets it power distribution through the Trailer Module Relay for that option.
It would only supply current when the engine is running for charging, and again not high amp, but aid in charging and maintaining battery levels.

If you wanted a higher amp at the trailer batteries ( more than low amp-trickle charging) you could use a stand alone relay, switched relay input-running, and run higher amp conductor to the batt loads..

Old 11-17-2017, 06:33 PM

Hey thanks for responding!

Yes, I had started to think that a basic generator would probably be easier and less of a possible problem for the truck. Again, I appreciate your responses.