Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

09 F250 V10 trans pumping fluid out vent

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Default 09 F250 V10 trans pumping fluid out vent

Okay from the start this ford is a rebuild had to replace most everything on the front I picked the truck up and then found that it was leaking trans fluid out the top vent brought it to several shops including ford, ford told me that it was shifting hard and the torque converter wasn't engaging all the way witch was making it run hot and pushing fluid out the top vent so i need a new transmission....... where I find that not accurate is i have driven this truck a little bit and there is no hard shift at all and there seems to be no slipping either also the trans temp gage seem to be running at a normal temp I took and started looking over my truck myself and found that one of the trans cooler lines wasn't replaced from the wreck and was smashed pretty good to were it would probably restrict the flow down to a 1/4 of what it should be. So my question is will that restriction in the trans cooler line make it push fluid out the top vent?

Old 08-12-2015, 03:29 AM

Scott,
You did the homework and found something that could contribute to the heat problem,a transmission's worst enemy, a good chance if you corrected the line problem you could lower the trans temp problem.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:53 PM

well after changing the line nothing much has changed everything is still running good the temp cage is running normal but its still pumping fluid out, I have checked the level and after driving it and getting the temp to normal it is reading at the top part of the hot level so im hoping that maybe it is over full? other than that I guess im going to have to leave it to a tranny shop for them either to rake me over the coals and make me get a new one or figure out what's wrong with this one. Any suggestions other than it being overfilled?

Old 08-12-2015, 02:07 PM

After reading your post thoroughly, as I should have done earlier, what is the "wreck" all about ?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:42 PM

its a rebuild, I bought this truck with the front end smashed had to replace the whole front clip, coolers, core support basically everything in front of the front axle. the issue is they didn't replace one of the trans cooler lines that got kinked in the wreck. now that I've replaced that line i have drove the truck some today and it has started slowing down with what's coming out the top vent, i have been checking the fluid level to make sure its not getting low and its still looking good. as long is I keep watching the fluid level and the temp is staying normal you think it should be okay to keep driving it? I know that its impossible to know if that's okay just by what I have told you, I'm just hoping that by the end of the next day or two of driving it, if it was to full then it should stop all together

Old 08-13-2015, 04:54 AM

Just so we are on the same page,
Are you checking the trans fluid level when hot or cold? There will be a difference between hot and cold levels.